• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{ace of spades}

Disabled
Hi. Ive just brought a rack mount server case and im going to build my first computer. I have all the parts i need but i hit my first problem today. Upon putting in my mini atx mobo (which i guessed would be fine as it said it takes standard atx equipment) doesnt fit in that the outputs on the motherboard like usb and screen cable etc dosnt match the possitioning on the metal plate on the server case that has the holes for things like the ubs and screen cable sockets.

What should i do now ? :(

On desktop computer cases, where the mobo ports go through on the case is called the I/O plate, or backplate. It is usually replacable on desktop cases, but I'm not sure about a rackmount case.

If it's not replacable, cut some holes; make it fit! ;)

Ok, i managed to get it out without damaging it. Now i have my mobo screwed in, with stand offs but im already seeing problems.

1. My psu doesnt fit in the place where the psu should go, it doesnt say ATX on there anywhere so do i assume its not atx?

2. The slots (dont know the terms here....) that the graphics cards etc go into dont line up with the card slots (that the card should screw onto the case ) dont line up.

3.The graphics card is too tall (3U case) so i need a riser right? But then it will go over my cpu where my heatskin would be.

4. Where the CD / DVD drives go, there is nothing stopping the drive falling down at the back and nothing stopping it being pushed through too far >.<

This is my first time at building computer and its harder than i thought it would be. Could anyone help with these problems?

James

QUOTE={ace of spades}
Ok, i managed to get it out without damaging it. Now i have my mobo screwed in, with stand offs but im already seeing problems.

1. My psu doesnt fit in the place where the psu should go, it doesnt say ATX on there anywhere so do i assume its not atx?

The case you linked to describes it as PS2. Might be hotswap PSU?? I don't know for sure.

2. The slots (dont know the terms here....) that the graphics cards etc go into dont line up with the card slots (that the card should screw onto the case ) dont line up.

Something's wrong here, they should.

3.The graphics card is too tall (3U case) so i need a riser right? But then it will go over my cpu where my heatskin would be.

I assume that you DO have a 3U case, as that is what you linked to. Any standard card should fit.

4. Where the CD / DVD drives go, there is nothing stopping the drive falling down at the back and nothing stopping it being pushed through too far >.<

I'd guess that there are drive rails that you need to screw to the drives first.

[random order of thoughts]

Usualy the board comes with a replacement I/O plate, just stick it in where the old one was.

You probably won't be able to fit a standard power supply into that case without modding, it just isn't made for it.

Your video card should fit... what card do you have?

Your cd drives should have come with screws, and you either screw them right into the case, or the case came with little rails for the drives.

[/random order of thoughts]

A couple of thoughts:

1. That is an EATX case and they usually use server mobos. ATX or MATX are different enough that you should expect problems. You should have an I/O shield that comes with your mobo, although I cannot tell you how easy it will be to fit it. As for the card slots, you may need to find/make a new shield for those as well.

2. That case says that it supports a PS/2 PSU which again is a different beast from what you are trying to build with. Also, while the web site does not say, those cases often have a "friction rail" system for holding the drives. The point to that being that those cases are designed for "hot swapping" RAID array drives w/o shutting down the computer. Just give the drive a good pull and it pops out, put a new drive in and the RAID controller should begin writing the data to the drive right away.

My reccomendation would be to return that case and find one that says on the web site that it matches your other hardware. I would like to refer you to a site/vendor but I only know companies on this side of the pond. Here is the place that I would buy from:

http://www.servercase.com/miva/miva...mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SC&Category_Code=3U

But just look over there and try to find the same case locally. I don't want to see you paying import duties/taxes to bring a $300 case into the country.

Back