• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

low process anti virus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lt_Horn

Hello,
I run Norton Anti-virus, and aside from being a memory hog, it takes up around 5 processes just for itself and different background aplications.
im wondering if there is a good antivirus that doesnt have so many processes.

im really looking for more of a real time virus scan more than anything. but ill look into knoppix

Most anything should be less of a hog than Norton. From the very few antivirus programs I've tried, it seems ~3 is the usual number of processes. There's a huge antivirus roundup on the front page here which should give you some ideas of clients you may want to look into. I doubt any of them will be nearly as heavy as Norton :D

JigPu

Check out Trend Micro PC-cillin. I noticed quite a difference switching to it from Norton. As an added bonus, it also finds more viruses and is updated more often.

I went from a heavy package to a lighter package. I converted to Kaspersky Personal (from Mcafee). It uses two processes and hovers in the 11- 20 meg range idleing. Kav.exe is idling @ 679kb and peaked @ 11 megs/ Kavsvc.exe is idling @ 9.3 megs and peaked @28.1 megs.

The interface is very simple. Seems like everytime I update it manually it has a new definition for me. I also have it set to automatic. Sometimes the server is real slow though, but unlike my last pig of a security package it seems stable. I coupled it with Outpost and I feel as I test it out, I might just keep it.

Right before my last format, I took out Mcafee and installed Norton which came with my motherboard. Yikes that thing is really bloated, I can see why you want it out. I would see what scanner you like that is a good product. All of them offer a trial that you can try out and see how it suits your needs. I just happen to find my current scanner, meeting mine for now. Fast and light on it's feet. I have read horror stories about the support though.

One other virus scanner I liked was Trend, the firewall part is not as good though. If your going after just the scanner it would be a great pick.

If you want a good suite, I installed Panda Platinum on a machine and it seems on par with the other quality suites. Not as heavy as Mcafee or Norton. I am leery of suites latley. If you get hit, the whole suite goes down. I would recommend an independant approach. Though, it is nice having everything in one spot.

Thanks for all of your replies, i have switched to Kaspersky Anti, and with that change i now have 5 less slots, now keep in mind that is after i uninstalled norton, so that means that norton was taking up 7 slots cause kaspersky only uses 2, god, now im mad at symantec, and M$

nod32 if you're looking for something small, but effective. it won some gaming magazine's av of the year because of this. i've tried it and it's pretty leet.

CorpX said:
nod32 if you're looking for something small, but effective. it won some gaming magazine's av of the year because of this. i've tried it and it's pretty leet.

NOD32 is crazy good. Uses very little memory/cpu while running in background and so far is 100% foolproof. Tho I am using a cracked version, i know that the product costs less than Norton if you were thinking of buying. It has won tons of awards.

NOD32 is by far the best Win AV.

Another vote for nod 32 it hardly uses any resources at all and hasn't missed anything.and it doesn't cost the earth to buy it either

Back