• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing W2K on old laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bensa

I got a Toshiba Portege 7100 now, the old installation is corrupted, so I need to reinstall. Problem is that the laptop has no network adapter or cd drive (external one, but cannot boot from it). I tried using a laptop HD to USB adapter and installed W2K with VMware (virtual machine).
The load up starts fine now with the laptop, but freezes when it gets to the bar, I assume this is because the components do not match.

Does anyone have an idea how I can get a working installation on this thing? I have the possibility to boot from network, but only a 56k modem. Is there a way to make a rj-45 to rj-11 adapter so I can load up an .iso?

Edit: Fixed now, here's what to do for reference.
Boot to DOS with the hardisk connected on a computer with a floppy and cd drive
fdisk and set up a primary DOS partition
format C: (this will make it FAT32)
copy E:\i386 C: (replace E with your CD-drive letter)
C:\winnt

You can convert the volume to NTFS during the W2K installation.

Last edited:
Would Toshiba have some boot flopies for that model, or can you boot an old win98 instal floppy with cd support, or 2k boot floppy with cd support?

Its so old that I can't find any support for it from Toshiba's site. The boot floppy could work, but its quite specific, unless there is an overall external cd-drive bootable driver.

copy the win2000 contents to the toshiba hard drive then run i386/winnt32.exe --- this is how i reinstalled windows on my portege (even tho i had a usb floppy).

-- also dump the contents of a boot floppy in that hard drive

Lionsault_100 said:
copy the win2000 contents to the toshiba hard drive then run i386/winnt32.exe --- this is how i reinstalled windows on my portege (even tho i had a usb floppy).

-- also dump the contents of a boot floppy in that hard drive

That would be my first choice. Bear in mind that it doesn't always work. If initiating the install from DOS doesn't work, there is a second option (although this isn't garanteed to work either). Hook up the laptop hard drive to your desktop. Copy the I386 folder off your 2000 CD to the hard drive. Power down
and disconnect your desktop's HDD. With the laptop drive still connected to your desktop, power up and start the install. Once it gets to the point where it's copied all the files, and goes to reboot, turn the system off, and don't let it boot up. Disconnect the drive from the system and put it back in the laptop. Power back up and it should continue with the setup, only difference being that it may ask for files from the CD. When this happens, you point it to the I386 directory you copied to the drive earlier.

Forgot to mention this, it has no floppy, so seems that booting over the network is the only choice, or CrystalMethod's second way.

Edit: No luck, NTLDR is missing.
Edit2: Something's a bit odd, did this to check. After the W2K installation on my computer gets past the part where it copies files and restarts, no files appear on the hardrive, is this because it loads the files into the ram or what?

Last edited:
I've been working on this when I have the time, the problem I keep on running into is that after copying the i386 folder on my computer to the drive, I cannot access the drive on the laptop using cd C: on DOS (Invalid Volume Label). I'm assuming this is because its NTFS and DOS is used to FAT.

I got a floppy for the laptop now, so what other options do I have in running the setup file in i386?

I've accessed the directory with a nice program called NTFSDos, but of course the usual install programs don't run in a DOS enviroment.

Last edited:
Back