• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P2B...cpu voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Hi All,
Long time no been here..I just picked up an old Asus P2B, and I d'l'ed the manual, but it says nothing about how to set the cpu voltage...it explains the fsb and multi, but that's it.
Does it auto detect the cpu volt? (just can't stick with the PII 450 it came with..gotta put in the PIII600E and run it @800)
Any help would be most apreciated, as I don't want to smoke a good twenty buck chip :)
Thanks in advance,
Doc

Yeah it sets it automagically through the vid pins. You have to tape some of those pins on the slot connector if you want to try forcing a higher voltage.

Slightly foggy memory here, can't remember if it was on a P2B or a P2BF or some other board, but I seem to remember a "test" jumper that bumped the vcore up by 0.1 or something like that.

Oh hang on, just found a P2-99 nearby to look at which is "supposed" to be identical to a P2B apart from it has a ZX chipset....

Above the AGP slot to the right is a missing group of VID jumpers, meaning, this board doesn't have them installed, some boards might. If you don't have them it will set itself. If you want to set it different, you might have some luck bridging the pads there or installing a jumper block. Above those there is a pair or 3 pin jumpers marked VIO and VCORE, with the settings 2-3 Normal, 1-2 Test. I'm not entirely sure of the exact figures but the test setting is a slight overvolt. It might be 3.5 V on the VIO and +0.1V to VCORE but I've forgotten. Anyhoo, both are usefull to overclock with, the higher VIO will let you take PC133 to 150 if your AGP card can handle the AGP overclock.

Beware of the KBPWR jumper just above the ATX connector, if you have it set wrong it may seem like the board is dead. What it's meant to do is to allow you to power up by tapping the spacebar on the keyboard, but I've never had it working, and random boards I've had with this feature set have caused me hours of grief until I noticed teh damn thing and unset it.

regards,

Road Warrior

You can find a guide for which pins to tape over at http://ocinside.de .

Just incase you didn't know, with a Powerleap slocket(and bios update) you can run Tualitin cpu's in this board! I have a Celeron 1.4 running at 1.58GHz with no extra volts perfectly solid for a couple years now. Great old board.

Thanks for the responses...good info.
I don't want to have to take this board out the case, so if it don't have the voltage pins, then I will just see if the 600E will run @800 under default volts.This will be a Xmas present, and even if I have to settle for 600mhz, it will be a far cry from the 233mhz pentium she has now, so it will be a good present if I don't bork it :)
Thks again, Doc

Back