• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bennefits of MP4 instead of MP3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@crilicM@n

What kind of bennefit do I get encoding to mp4 instead of mp3?

-Will the car stereos ready to play mp3 read the mp4???

-Is it better quality when comparing similar size files encoded from a same original file (I mean encoded at the same kbps level...)??? Or smaller end file with same quality??

Thanks

i read about this a while back so maybe some improvement now. the mp4 are higher qaulity at lower kbps. by higher i mean a 96kbps should sound like a 160 kbps mp3 file.
also will @ 96kbps the file size should compare to a 192kbps mp3.

i dont think mp3 capable players (such as car stereos) will be able to play back mp4.

I'd stick with MP3 unless space is a serious issue. Basically, as I understand it, an MP4 will be smaller than an MP3 at a given bitrate.

mp4 movies have a definite advantage. No real advantage to mp4/aac audio. Unless you're encoding losslessly (but then, why not just use a .wav).

aparently you didn't click the link

The Data Speaks for Itself

In numerous comparison tests, AAC comes out on top. Check out these impressive results:

* AAC compressed audio at 128 Kbps (stereo) has been judged by expert listeners to be “indistinguishable” from the original uncompressed audio source.*
* AAC compressed audio at 96 Kbps generally exceeded the quality of MP3 compressed audio at 128 Kbps. AAC at 128 Kbps provides significantly superior performance than does MP3 at 128 Kbps.*
* AAC was the only Internet audio codec evaluated in the range “Excellent” at 64 Kbps for all of the audio items tested in EBU listening tests.*

* Information provided by Dolby Labs

Well... i'll have to take a look if my dvd burner software can burn cd audio from the files i make in mp4 and in aac mode... And take a look if my palm can play those and my sonyericsson k750i can play aac too :-( If not... I'll stick with mp3, altogh i have the plugins...

Back