• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low priced-good resellers !CA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InfiniteThought

I love newegg. However, I don't love paying 8.25% CA sales tax on a $1500 computer.

I thought Zoomfly would be my salvation. Nope it's in CA as well...

My only option seems to be Monarch in NJ.

Anyone else know of any other options?

Check out SVC or Jab-tech also, i'll see if i can find out where they are.

you might end up piecing together your rig through a few different vendors... which is usually a good idea to get the best prices! :)

And here is a list on our own forums of online shops that people here use and like. go through each of them and figure out where they are!

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=100544

good enough for anyone here, good enough for me!

i was under the impression no matter where you order from as long as your in cali you will have to pay the tax ..

Well in the tax law (i was bored one day and i won't go into detail) in CA says unless you bought something outside of CA and used it in that state for 6 months or more you're supposed to pay taxes. If the other state taxes you though the tax counts as "credit" towards paying your own state tax. So if you bought something in a state with a 5% sales tax and then a week later took it to CA which is where you live then you're supposed to pay the state of CA whatever percent extra. (I would pay 2.75% since my tax here is 7.75%). Now I'm not sure if this is constitutional because to me it breaks the clause that says no taxes or tarrifs on other states. But that's just what the law says.

ckj said:
Well in the tax law (i was bored one day and i won't go into detail) in CA says unless you bought something outside of CA and used it in that state for 6 months or more you're supposed to pay taxes. If the other state taxes you though the tax counts as "credit" towards paying your own state tax. So if you bought something in a state with a 5% sales tax and then a week later took it to CA which is where you live then you're supposed to pay the state of CA whatever percent extra. (I would pay 2.75% since my tax here is 7.75%). Now I'm not sure if this is constitutional because to me it breaks the clause that says no taxes or tarrifs on other states. But that's just what the law says.

Lol, this is another discussion. ;)

I've heard you're expected by law to pay sales tax when you're resident in CA (or any other county or city that has sales tax). By purchasing an item out of state it is considered tax evasion.

...and for the record all my computer hardware was purchased with an 8.25% sales tax. :)

Newegg is hard to beat even with taxation without representation...

We don't charge sales tax at all in CA, but our prices are also generally higher than Newegg. With the volume they do, we often can't even compare to the prices they can offer. Also, since we are in MI, shipping can be higher too.

However, with thier 8% or higher sales tax, we do often come out cheaper all around. The same can be said for a lot of the smaller companies out there; it just depends. I'd say actually 40% of our customers are CA customers, since many of the bigger computer stores do charge tax there, we often get them a better bottom line price. You never know though; I guess it just pays to shop around a bit :)

Back