• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moral of the story: Don't let your Dad take PC's apart...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zulu-1

Background: My dad has been seeing someone for a while, and she needed a pc. I scrounged around for some parts out of my old PC and got a pc together that had an old mobo with a 733mhz C3 in it, and old 350W psu, and a case. I got the rest of the parts together.
Zoom to last week: I got the whole thing put together, and loaded XP... everything is A-OK.. and my dad takes it to his gf's house. But apperantley, it doesnt work, and my dad takes it to his house, where i can work on it later.
Zoom to yesterday: My dad plugs it in, and says he can't get it to turn on, is the switch on the back right? yes... ok i'll have a look at it later...
Zoom to this morning: My dad calls and says: he did something bad. I ask him what..? He says he found a connecter that was unplugged, so he plugged it in, turned it on, a big spark and lots of smoke came out of the mother board. My face= :eh?: .. I ask him where did the connector come from, he said the power supply... i ask him what does it look like.. and i quote : "2 Black, and two yellow wires"... If you dont understand.. he plugged the AUX P4 12V connector into a mobo that runs the equivelent of a p3.. IT DIDNT HAVE A PLACE TO PLUG THAT CONNECTOR IN :bang head ... needless to say i put down the phone and lauged my ****ing head off... well he's dropping it off tomorow.. and hopefully i wont be too busy to post some pics... :santa:

sorry about the long read :d :p

I think, I've read something like that, on this forum. Where someone had a computer, and they plugged in every wire.

Last edited:
sorry guys, ive been uber busy lately, my grandma's house just closed today... apperantley he found some way to plug it into a 3-pin fan plug on the motherboard... im hoping it will still work... i promise ill post pics tomorow or saturday, or you can get felinusez to come beat me up ;)

"If the shoe fits..."

He may have thought that plug seemed to fit there somehow. My suggestion for that PC after fixing it, snip off unused plugs and tape them off.

i would post pics, but nothing really happened
apperantley, it somehow only killed the power supply, and not the mobo! :-|
the mobo is fine, no burnt traces at all, but the PSU wont work at all... it's kinda weird :p

Hypocrites..
If I had started a thread about how never let kids take apart a pc you would all be jumping down my throat...

Please dont generalize, I am probably your dad's age can probably tshoot and assemble a pc faster than 99% of people under 21.

subtotal said:
Perhaps this thread should be renamed "Don't let Joe (or Jane) Sixpacks take PC's apart..."

I agree. Just because we are dads does not mean we trade in the overclocking card for the diaper changing card. :p Ever thought about trying to teach your dad something about computers. (I tried and failed, but it was funning watching my balding father scratch his head that way)

Back