• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A quick review please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soichiro

I'm going to be building a new comp soon, but to make sure that it will work well, I would like a few reviews on it. The items which will be included in it are at http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1686239. Please give me a review of it and tell me if you see any problems with this configuration, especially where cooling is concerned. My current comp has a HUGE problem with cooling (in case you didn't notice from where it says my comp runs at 60c idle in my sig =P) and I don't want that problem to appear on my new comp as well. I probably sound like a n00b right now... =P

Looks like you won't be OCing your new system? I'm just assuming that because you choose a ULi motherboard and value ram. Both which are components which could hold back your OC, moreso the motherboard then the ram though.

A big thing you should change is either the mobo/cpu OR the video card. Your CPU is skt754, and your mobo is a skt754 with AGP. While your video card is PCI-E.

I'd at least recommend getting skt939 if you plan on buying a whole new system. Especially since it's not much more expensive.

I'd at least get a nForce4 mobo even if you aren't planning on OCing.

EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra $97.99
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ $266.44

You can get the Corsair Value at ZZF for $89.

Plus maybe get a different PSU if you plan on OCing. Ewiz has the Forton AX500-A for about $80. But I'd say a Forton 400W should be fine for you, newegg carries them as well.

wow... when are you building this computer? if i were you, i'd stay around for at least a month and learn a little about computers... next time, could you just list the stuff(ie: 3700+ san diego, 6800gt, dfi nforce4 sli etc etc) because it's peak hours for comcast and it took me a minute to load the webpage.

-1cem4n

The heatspreaders are mainly to make the ram look nicer (they match the lcd on the fans), although they are unnecessary so I'll consider getting rid of them. I'll see how much more it would cost to go to s939, and I'll go for a fortron ps as well. Thanks for the advice.

the ram that you chose is a dissapointed POS. I have it in two computers and it sucks for overclocking. not 20 fsb over stock.

the motherboard is not very oc friednly and psu seems pretty weak.

I've revised it a bit... or more than a bit, and here's what I've come up with. http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1686569

For those who don't like waiting for newegg.com, I'll give some basic details of the parts.
Aspire X-Plorer ATXB8KLW-BK Case w/ 2 80mm fans and 1 120mm fan
Fortron AX450-PN
A64 3000+ Venice s939
Thermalright XP-120 Heatsink w/ Panaflo PBA12G12M 120mm fan and AS5
Epox EP-9NPA+Ultra nForce4 s939
1GB Geil DDR400 (GE1GB3200BSC)
Hitachi 160GB SATA150 7200RPM HDD
Lite-on DVD burner (SOHW-1693S)
Radeon X800PRO 256MB PCI-E 16x

ahh that's better haha*wink*. it's not that we don't like newegg.com, we don't want to load another page just to view it. i'm not fond of aspire cases but cases are a personal preference. take a look at the super lanboy.

-1cem4n

Back