• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell comp, XP home- 128MB memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turd

Man I can't believe this. I looked at a computer today for someone and it was a Dell with a 2.4 proc and XP Home with just 128MB of memory. Of course it ran like crap, slow and those not enough memory errors. I went and loaned the girl a stick of 256 and popped it in and we watched the computer speed way up. I then pointed the owner to newegg and told her to get a 512 stick and that I would put it in when it came.

I just can't believe that Dell would sell a WinXP system with just 128MBs. Man that's disturbing and gets a rage post from me.

Nuts... 128 megs was terrible 4 years ago, it should be illegal to sell 128 megs of ram in a new computer

you can run WinXP very well on 128Mbs of RAM.

You just have to know how to prioritize what you want to run, and to turn off services you don't need. you can save 50-60Mbs of RAM that way.

I personally wouldn't run it on anything less than 192Mbs of RAM (and you can run it VERY well on that amount of RAM as well)

This is why Dell eventually came out with the "FREE UPGRADE TO 256MB OF RAM" ads, when in reality enough people complained there PC was next to useless with 128.

TollhouseFrank said:

Yea if you want to play Harts or FreeCell all day!

Ram is so cheap, there shouldn't be any excuse to have less than 256mb. Just loading up XP from a fresh install takes more than 128mb of ram. The PC's we have at work take 160mb right off the bat. (they all have 256mb in them)

IMHO-
min- 256mb (tight budget, simple computing)
average- 512mb (extra room to grow, run more programs)
max- 1gb (gamers/power users)
1337- 2gb (1337 gamers/power users)

What makes things worse is that not only does it only have 128megs of memory. The systems ship with all the Dell preloaded crap that automatically starts when you boot into windows.

Also it uses system memory for the graphics. I think dell stopped shipping only 128MB's when they stopped selling the northwood celerons.

ugh, my friends hp had 128mb of ram, it came installed with win xp home. Plus it was loaded full of spyware, and had about 10 background programs running. When I took it home to format and reinstall a clean copy of xp for them, i went down to our local computer store and picked up a 512 stick. It ran much better after that

he now has a nice dell, the new ones with the white and silver cases, damn its nice :) I went over and unpacked it and set it up for him. I had to hold back my drooling LOL

Wow, 128 megs. Even my smoothwall has 384! I have 1 gig in here, which is barely enough anymore. Photo editing and scanning eats up my ram in no time. My next pc will have atleast 2 gigs, maybe even 4 if its cheap enough (in about 2 years from now)

TollhouseFrank said:

You just have to know how to prioritize what you want to run, and to turn off services you don't need. you can save 50-60Mbs of RAM that way.

I personally wouldn't run it on anything less than 192Mbs of RAM (and you can run it VERY well on that amount of RAM as well)

Hardly

K, on your 128mn system

start Word / IE / MSN / Outlook and then tell me it runs fine - that is with services edited.

yes Windows will run - but dont expect to run anything else. or mroe then 1 program at once.

i would rather have my monitor in black and white forever than hit a swap file with 128... especially 128 shared W/ video.
theres a nice dell 2.4 under the roof. its got all this useless crap that allways runs, and its a dog. this thing has 512. constantly in the swap file! not gonna change anytime soon either.... anyone seen prices for a gig of RAMBUS?

(O/T)funny thing is, last week just for fun, i installed Win98 on a 400MHZ Celeron - 64MB of ram, and with nothing else installed the thing was hands down the fastest computer in the house. navigation within the O/S was amazingly fast.(end O/T)

I hate to tell you, even with 512 MB of RAM, those PCs can still have slow Windows navigation, because of the bloat that they often include.

Even with 128 MB on a PC I built a while back, it was still bearable,
(at least majorly better than the Windows installations that come with
HP Pavillion PCs, which included a Norton Anti-Virus that likely expires shortly and WildTangent. :rolleyes: ) even with Windows XP Pro. That was even when running Nintendo 64 emulation. That can easily, especially with Project64, take up more than 256 MB. A 64 MB ROM can easily cousume close to 384 MB.

Last edited:
I install Windows XP Pro on a PI 233mhz, with 64MB of RAM.

It was a web server/test bed/SETI machine for my home network.

The parts are now scattered to the four winds, but it did its job perfectly fine when it was assembled.

Grandma's 2.6GHz Intel machine from Dell has 512 of memory and it feels really slow. I do believe it's all the garbage they stick in there so the buyer feels all warm and cozy knowing they got a crapload of useless software.

TollhouseFrank said:

Exactly.

but I don't know about you but most people prefer to do something with there computers (i.e. browser the web/check email) than stare at the pretty background all day :D

Back