• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New pc build help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shady_cb

Hey i planning on building a new pc here what i got some far on my list

CPU= AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - OEM

MOBO= NOt sure which ine at all i want to oc the cpu to the best i can

Ram= same not sure what to get

Heatsink and fan = not sure what to get

PSU = not sure what t get

graphics= you guessed not sure, if pci the way to go now.

as you can see my problem i dont have a clue about this stuff anymore eg where to look are the the new parts and bit stuck on mobo, so some ideas for the pc and places where i can learn agian.

the budget between medium and high

thanks

ps my sig below is my system i want to notice a big diff,

Mobo= DFI lanparty nF4 series
Ram=anything with TCCD like the Patriot pc3200 XBLK or the OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2.
Heatsink= The XP-120 and XP-90 used to be pretty popular a while ago, I don't know how they stack up know, check the cooling section.
PSU= I was suggested the FSP blue storm 500w, it wasn't enough for me but it will be fine for you
Graphics= depends on your budget, the best is the 7800gtx for $470+ then right under it is the 7800gt for around $380+.

avg has the stuff down but the scythe ninja is the top dog now. I don't think they use TCCD now, they use TCC5. as for the budget, a number would be nice cause everybody has different measurements of medium and high

-1cem4n

erm maybe 500 pounds give or take a couple of 10s.

thanks the the ideas couple of questions,

why this board DFI lanparty nF4 series

and what is TCCD and TCC5

i could do with a web site that tells me about the motherbaod all the diff things on them

The DFI is one of the best OCing mobos, as you can tell by looking at everyones signatures. It has one of the best OCing-friendly BIOS and works great with high voltage ram. With the right ram combinations, you can get the 3000+ to 2.7ghz.

The PSU recommendation for Forton AX500-A is a good choice. About $80ish total at ewiz.

Video card all depends on budget, around $290, you can get the 6800GT. Anything under $200, I'd go for the 6800 or 6600GT. If you can afford it, both the 7800GT and GTX are the best choices.

As for heatsinks, something like the XP-120 or SI-120 are both good choices. Maybe the Sonic Tower if you want the best of the best....especially when paired with more then one fan, lol.

I'd get the 6800GT over the X800XL, but then it's more about preference.

The AX500-A should be fine to suffice your parts, but if you really plan on getting something in SLI in the future, go for the Powerstream. Otherwise the AX500-A is more then enough for your components.

yuck, fatal1ty sucks at gaming IMO. i want to see him take on somebody from SK or Team3d. the board lacks a lot of features to be more "oc friendly" but lack of something wouldn't raise your overclock.

-1cem4n

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2465&p=21

looking at that, it seems like the epox ones is just as good, for 35 pound less.

Is this the case or is there any other test that show diff results,

Just been reading and would i be right in sayin the you can hook to graphics card up to get twice the power, eg sli mode

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pr....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3449&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=US

also i have notice that peeps are only mentioning nvidia graphics are is that becuase ati isnt not comptiable or the the nvidia card to to good.

ps thanks for all the help learning a lot

Last edited:
i think i just going to stick to one graphics card for now, lol but it would be ace if i did get to.

ps donations welcome.

anyone body running 2 graphics are yet, and how doe sit look

for your rig, tompc3, i would have ditched the neo4, that powersupply and the ram. would have gotten an epox instead, an ocz powerstream 520, and ocz vx and gotten a larger hd. just my opinion though.

-1cem4n

Back