• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New SMP Comp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ManicMike

I would like to build a new computer for gaming around the 2 1.6ghz xeons I picked up on ebay but I do not know what parts to get to complete the system build. I would like a motherboard with PCIE but the only one i found was the DN800-SLI but there is a big warning in the manual about not installing 533 FSB processors and also the parts must be avaliable in the UK
Thank You

ManicMike said:
Wow lots to choose from Thanks! :D
Any of these good overclockers?

The Supermicro ones, if I remember correctly, will lack overclocking options as they are intended as server boards.

However if you have 400MHz FSB CPUs and the board supports a 533 and 800 MHZ FSB .... :>

manic mike, I would like to make a suggestion

Ebay has 1.4GHZ Brand new OEM 240 A64 opterons for 50$ each buy it now. The guy looks legit. Here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6806684155&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

He has 98 left and I betting these will go fast. Next get the Asus K8N-DL NF4 Pro board with 8 SATA ports 1 PCI-Ex16 slot 2 PCI and one PCI-Ex1 slot.

Here is link where you can get it for 165$
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?item=13-131-059R

For 260$ you can have a SMP rig that can O/C(should reach 1.6-1.8) which is as fast as a A64 3000 Venice. Also have PCI-E GPU support, and support for higher clocked Opterons and if you can get them cheap latter on DC Opterons :)

I think that would be a good idea but I do not know anywhere in england that stocks that board and if they will post the processors to england. However if it is not possible to get them I have been doing some research and like the look of this board http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfoZoom.asp?WebProductID=126176 however because I have lv xeons and would like to oc them and they are only 533FSB I dont know if they will get up to 800FSB, it would be a huge waste of money then. also you cannot change the cpu voltage so will they be stuck at 1.3v. Please help! :D

ManicMike said:
I have lv xeons and would like to oc them and they are only 533FSB I dont know if they will get up to 800FSB, it would be a huge waste of money then. also you cannot change the cpu voltage so will they be stuck at 1.3v. Please help! :D

To start with, what is the sSpec number on the chips? That will tell us if they are C1 or D1 stepping. D1 should do 800MHZ FSB while C1 probably won't (at boot up, clockgen is another matter). Secondly those chips are 400MHz FSB not 533MHz. And thirdly you will be able to mod the CPU sockets on the mobo with some little wires to fool it into supplying more volts, this is refered to as the u-wire mod. On a totally different tack, if you want this computer to play games you are going to be sadly disappointed, you would be far better off with a AMD/nF4 set up. If you are still determined, then I would recommend an Asus PCH-DL (as you are in the UK) and a good AGP Gfx card.

The sspec is sl6xk. Can you u-wire mod the supermicros as well? and I realise that it will nit be the best for games but I have the porcessors already and they are too fast to be used in a home server and nobody will want them as they are old so I thought I would make some use for them.

Also I want pcie because I am not going to spend a lot of money on an agp card because they are at the end of thier life cycle

ManicMike said:
The sspec is sl6xk. Can you u-wire mod the supermicros as well? and I realise that it will nit be the best for games but I have the porcessors already and they are too fast to be used in a home server and nobody will want them as they are old so I thought I would make some use for them.

Also I want pcie because I am not going to spend a lot of money on an agp card because they are at the end of thier life cycle

So D1s (the best). As I understand it the socket is the same on every board, so yes you should be able to. As for nobody wanting them I think you will find a small but dedicated market for those processors, you wouldn't have any trouble selling them. I don't know anything about that mobo but I REALLY think you will struggle to get it to overclock, why do you think everyone that overclocks these Xeons uses the Asus trio? Does it even allow you to up the FSB? I think you need to SERIOUSLY think about what it is you want, a games machine or an o/c'ed Xeon workhorse. They can be the same but only with AGP I'm afraid.

Well in the posts above David said: The Supermicro ones, if I remember correctly, will lack overclocking options as they are intended as server boards.

However if you have 400MHz FSB CPUs and the board supports a 533 and 800 MHZ FSB .... :>
So you think that someone will buy these xeons and that I should buy an opty board?

ManicMike said:
So you think that someone will buy these xeons and that I should buy an opty board?

The way the Asus boards work is that there is a jumper on the board that forces the bios to start at a different FSB; 100-132 133-165 (166-199) and 200-233 rather than being told what FSB by the CPUs. If the Supermicro boards have the same thing then you will be fine, but I don't think they do. As to what to do that is for you to decide :)

Whay are you using xeons I would just buy a Pentium D 3GHZ witha good desktop board from asus or abit and overclock it.

hkh said:
Whay are you using xeons I would just buy a Pentium D 3GHZ witha good desktop board from asus or abit and overclock it.

Because the Xeons and the mobo will cost less then just the CPU you are suggesting. The Xeons have HT the D8**s don't. Also where is the fun in just buying something ordinary?

I hvae the PC-DL while its still AGP so far i have really enjoyed it, got my LV 1.6's runing at 2.6 and as soon as i up the cooling i think i should beable to hit 2.8 :)

I don't see why not. I bought it for one CPU right now, and I'll upgrade later as the server is needed more. Eventually I hope to go dual core with it, with both sockets used.

Back