• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to reinstall Win 2K Pro: Need some info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d3v

Hi all,

Just about to reformat my PC and I need to know what order do I reinstall everything??

For example is it...

DX 9.0c
Windows Updates
Graphics driver
Sound Driver
Chipset Drivers

???

after installing, install all drivers first in this order:

Chipset, Graphics, Sound (chipset is most important, graphics is next at least to me, and then sound).

Next, get all the windows updates you can get.

Third, DX 9.0C, unless you plan on gamin' on that rig while its downloadin' the updates :p

Chipset drivers would be first, then whatever drivers and AV.
If you are not behind a soho router, (ie direct connect to a cable/dsl modem)then you don't want to be connected via ethernet when you install the OS as you will be infected within minutes. If you have a s/w firewall, install that before you connect to the net. Once connected to the net, grab your windows updates and AV updates.

Next, get all the windows updates you can get.

Third, DX 9.0C, unless you plan on gamin' on that rig while its downloadin' the updates

Well, nvidia chipset drivers (and maybe graphics drivers too) require directx in order to install. So he'll need to get directx early.

Back