• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you use anti-static wrist straps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you use anti-static wrist straps?

• Yes

Votes: 58 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 381 86.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lol... I sometimes do... sometimes don't. Depends on what I am doing.

If I am adjusting a fan... or adding a hard drive no.

If I am fooling with my graphics card yes.

jdrake90

PS: Thanks Wallis for this poll!

Never wear shoes when I work so I never need to worry much about static electricity. If my dogs can't breath, I can't think straight!:)

Wyeth (where i work) requires the use of anti-static wrist straps whenever you open a computer case. So it has basically become a habit.

Wiggles said:
Wyeth (where i work) requires the use of anti-static wrist straps whenever you open a computer case. So it has basically become a habit.

Never have, never had any problems. I work on my workbench in my basement, there's a concrete floor so I really don't even worry about it.

I have carpet floor, and no, I don't.

Though how my ram died is definately something that boggles me. The only thing I can say is static, but if that was so, then my CPU would have died, and maybe my vid card/sound card/NIC in different situations as well (I put my ram on the carpet for 2 seconds)

nope, wheter it be on my ceramique tiled floor or my rugs, i never do, as i say

"I am so negative, i cant get a charge to even start building up"

hainer36 said:
nope, wheter it be on my ceramique tiled floor or my rugs, i never do, as i say

"I am so negative, i cant get a charge to even start building up"

HAHAHA thats pretty good.

I do now, because my room at college is a giant static ball (wall-to-wall carpet in the bedrooms). At home the floors are wood and so is my worktable, so I'm generally not afraid of buildup; I also tend to like working barefoot as well :)

If installing drives: no
If fiddling with mobo or anything on it: generally yes, can't hurt if I do

I have one (cordless) in my toolkit anyway, as I for some unknown reason attract a charge at times--don't want to be held responsible for killing anything someone asks me to fix.

I don't use it. I only get zaped with static charge when I get out of the car.

I have never used one. Just using a little common sense when working on the MB eliminates any ESD. When I am working on my motherboard I will touch the chassis first to make sure there is no static charge. I also wear rubber sole shoes

I always have contact with the case as well as work on a wood bench..

However I have fried a HD with static on a repair for a client LMAO..I was on the floor,new carpet in the winter..I surged about 20,000 volts I laughed but the client did not think it to funny ! ! ! ! Good thing he is a long time friend and COMP USA is clueless . . . .

Wow, I'm surprised so many people said no...

I didn't until this year. When I bought the components for this rig back in december/january, I figured I'd put up $10 for a strap vs $270 for a new proc (I had a 3500 at the time). Certainly can't hurt, especially since the floor is all carpet and I'm usually wearing socks...I use static bags too: Anything that comes out goes on top of a staic bag, never onto the floor or table.

I've never used one. I work on wood or glass and I never get any static charge. I always touch something metal just in case.

Back