• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IC7-G MaxII 3.2E E0 O/C Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ApocalypseGZ

Registered
:confused: Hi, I am totally new to Overclocking and was wondering what a good setup to overclock this would be on my setup I have. Im looking to get at least 4ghz Stable. But Not sure where to start.

MOTHERBOARD: Abit IC7-G MaxII
CPU: Pentium 4 3.2E Prescott E0 Stepping
MEMORY: OCZ EL Platinum Rev. 2 PC4200 DDR533 1GB Dual Channel 2x512MB
PSU: OCZ Powerstream 520W
VIDEO: eVGA Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT w/ NV Silencer 5 Rev. 2 Cooler
XP-90C Heatsink with Panasonic Panaflo H1BX Fan
Air Cooled

ok Ext Clock sitting at 240 66 33 3.84, wanna go higher
NB by CPU
Dram 1:1
AGP Ratio Fixed
66/33
Vcore 1.4625v
ddr Voltage 2.8v
agp voltage 1.55v
memory 2.5-3-3-8
Last 2 Game Acc. Disabled,

Anything Im missing for the maximum I can get??
Also what kind of cooling should I go with? If any more tips please leave them, if not, Thanks for your help eitherway.

That's a very nice O/C. Are you still stable? What are your load temps? To go much higher, you will probably need to improve case cooling and/or maybe add some mosfet heatsinks. This extra cooling will allow you to bump up the vcore another notch. Fortunately, your CPU heatsink is good. Look at the cooling links in my signature for some ideas.

batboy said:
That's a very nice O/C. Are you still stable? What are your load temps? To go much higher, you will probably need to improve case cooling and/or maybe add some mosfet heatsinks. This extra cooling will allow you to bump up the vcore another notch. Fortunately, your CPU heatsink is good. Look at the cooling links in my signature for some ideas.

Currently Sitting at a high (playing Doom 3 with other programs running in background) temps are around 55-62c Case cooling is definitely needed, was looking at maybe the X-Blade case, friend has one and hes pretty cool in it. I know I need something for this SL7PN Because of the Prescott Heat they love to produce. But was told the SL7PN would be the cooler of the Prescott Class as a E0 Core and run much cooler then the 3.4E CO I currently Had. I will not go 775 until my next rebuild that or whatever else may be available by then. I'd like to see this Go a lot higher so If I must Phase Change Cool, IM THERE!!! Ha. But seriously I]d like to at least get a full Gig OC, I've seen it done so Im sure if I get more Cooling or perhaps do the Water Cooling and Upgrade my case I should do fine.

Current Case is a SystemMax Case(replaced a stock p.o.s. computer lol.) Case is alright, not the best but holds everything in place at least till I get case Next Thursday Any suggestions on a Case Better fit for this other then the X-Blade?? Right now I have 1 80MM Case fan in back (cheapy, I need 2 120mm fans). the Panaflo on CPU, NB Cheapy, which on this new board is still stock so I need to fix so It dont fail or do its famous Noisy Crapout, another Cheap fan on the front for time being with open case and AC going, to keep it as cool as I can. Idle around 46c with the 3.84mhz stable. Around 64c Loaded. If I missed anything please do reply. Thanks

Why not mod the case you have? So, if I read your post right, you only have one case fan in the rear? If so, then you definitely need a little more air flow through that thing. There is usually a place in the lower front part of the case for an 80mm intake fan. You can cut a hole in the side panel and mount a fan to blow some cool air into the CPU. That seems to be the best idea.

So settings wise there is no better setup or things I can change to make it go faster after I do the mods?

You are down to just bumping up the vcore to 1.5v max and seeing how much farther it will O/C once you get a little better case cooling.

I used to have that same mobo and CPU combo. I got it 4ghz stable but that was on water with 1.55 vcore. I was running similar RAM timings, but I had Corsair PC3200. My PSU and RAM were inferior to yours, so I see no reason you cant reach 4.0. But vcore will be your freind (and enemy if you cant control the heat).

I would not go above 1.5v actual vcore. Even at 1.5v you better have the mosfets sinked up and good case ventilation. This is coming from a guy that fried a IC7 once by pushing too much voltage.

batboy said:
I would not go above 1.5v actual vcore. Even at 1.5v you better have the mosfets sinked up and good case ventilation. This is coming from a guy that fried a IC7 once by pushing too much voltage.
I second that.

Just try and touch the MOSFETs and you'll see what we mean.

First off. I have nearly the exact setup as you. I love the PSU!!!!
I started off with air cooling and could not get comfortable temps so I ended up going to Liquid cooling. I also sinked my MOSFETS and was able to go 4.06. Sys temp around 44C idle 52C under load
The biggest issue are the MOSFETS and CPU heat.
Through trial and error I ended up frying my board (on air) while increasing the Vcore. With the new board I backed down to a safe 3.9 with stabiulity. Temps average 39C idle and about 45-46C (no more than 48C) under load. Note that I have 4 sticks of 512 and that in itself makes a difference. And adds considerably to the problem. I still sinked my MOSFETS!!!
I have to add that it is important to get a really good case and focus on ventalation. I don't like my case and am looking at the Lian Li family and will change over very soon. However my case has fans all over (2 aimed directly at the MOSFETS) and my sys temps are OK. I just want more room when I need to work inside. The Case you picked is also very good. But if you change to liquid cooling in the future, room is of utmost importance.
But if you want to OC higher, liquid cooling becomes your best alternative in my opinion. Bear in mind you will be adding more hardware. But for me it has been worth it.

ApocalypseGZ said:
definatly do not get that wc'ing kit....waste of your money, you could get much better air cooling than that water

if you wanted water, read the stickys and look around in the water-cooling section, and if you wanted air, look in the air section

i have basically the same set-up (had a 68GT wc'd before too, then sold and got a air 98PRo) that rig will be awesome if you cool it down enough, and you may be able to beat xtremeoverclockers superpi for a 3.2ghz pressy

To me you gotta build your WC system. The out of box systems have limitations in that you can not get the best of the best. You get what s there.
I just installed my new MB (another IC7Gmax II) and my temps are in the 33C idle/38-39C load range.
Let us know how you make out! :rolleyes:

Back