• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new SMP rig.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dwschoon

I just finished putting together a dual p3 rig. The board is a soyo d6iba with dual p3 800's at 896 w/512 mb ram and windows xp pro. I put it in an old dell xpsr400 case with an old 235 watt power supply. It runs fine with this power supply, but I think I will try to upgrade it eventually. It is a file server and i fold on it. What kind of problems could i have with a low watt power supply? The left cpu runs about 10 degrees hotter than the right, and i am assuming it is because of airflow. I havent experienced any instability.
Server.jpg

desktop26.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the airflow to the left one is really minimal being the fan is right up against the back of the other CPU's slotket. Way back when I was running dual PIII 700s @ 933 MHz I picked up some all copper 1U heatsinks and drilled a hole in the sidepanel to direct cool air directly on the CPUs. What slotkets are you using? Back when I built mine you pretty much had to use the Asus ones.

I modded a pair of msi-6905 master v2.3 slotkets. It was easy and works perfectly. This board wont give voltage below 1.8v, so I set it manually on the slotket and it works perfectly. I am going to try to figure out some extra cooling for the left cpu. What a tolerable temp for coppermines? the left gets up to about 47, whereas the right never tops 38. System temps dont get over 30. This is running 2 instances of F@H.

that looks very similar to my sister's dual PIII 667MHz slot machine.
I am hoping to trade her my old Celeron because she just wants it as an extra internet machine.

Back