• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guillaume

Ok, my new rig story is turning into a nightmare...Never has a chance to even boot it. The mobo appeared defective,so I RMA'd it. DFI returned it promptly, indicating they replaced a bunch of components. Still, nothing works. The system won't post, not even a VGA signal. I don't have extra components I can try, and at this point, I need some help determining what works and what doesn't in this rig. I can't possibly RMA everything, that won't even tell me for sure what is toast....sooo...any good soul that lives in the Seattle/Redmond/Bellevue area, has a similar system and could help me test CPU, RAM, PSU and mobo?
Please send a PM if you can help!

Thanks!
Guillaume

Last edited:
you should be able to at least test some PSU functionality by jumpering the "on" switch pins to see if it starts up, provides the correct voltage (have a DMM?) and see the fan(s) in the PSU work.

I would double check before trying this but I THINK its the green and black wires/pins you have to jump to get it to start up.

If that's good then when connected to motherboard it should throw some beep codes without VGA/RAM/CPU plugged in, so if none of that happens maybe its still the baord??

also try starting it without any RAM in...without the CPU in...just random combinations and see if you can get any sort of post or power up.

Oh are you getting powerup? i.e. HDD spin and fans and then no video signal? or just plain nothing?

Here's what I'm getting:

- PSu starts, fan spins and provides power to components. So it seems fine. I can't test if the voltage is right though.

- I tried with and without PSU and/or RAM. The mobo starts, all fans are blowing, but I get no post at all, in fact I get no VGA signal whatsoever. The board does not even beep. I suspect the CPU, but I can't be sure. If it were the RAM, I think it would at least beep?

You should plug the power supply into the mobo and power up with nothing else connected. If there are no beeps from the mobo, then check to see if the standoffs to the mobo are shorted. You will have to take to mobo out and place it on an insulator (plastic sheet is good). Connect up the power supply and start it up. If not beeps, then it is either the mobo or the power supply.

Do you have all 4 power leads plugged into the board? Are you sure you have the right 4-pin connector in? What LED's light up?

yes, all 4 are plugged in. I get amber leds at various locations, and all 4 RED diagnostic LED light up and stay on.

Back