• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouse and your hand size.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schalldampfer

Following up on my not so popular "Keyboard and the Length of your Fingers" thread, I bring to you another topic of interest. Well, at least to me. Currently I have an MX1000, but I find that my hand, from the root of the wrist to the finger tips, covers the mouse entirely. I guess it's normal, as I'm 6'3". But here's the question, is this the way the mouse was designed? For people with big hands like mine? Or was it designed so that the fingers stop at the buttons and not go past them?

I think only the VERY vertically challenged or ppl with servely small hands wouldn't cover an MX1000's mouse completely with their hand, unless ofcourse we're talking about small children. I also don't know of anyone who lays their wrists atop the back of the mouse or you'd be pressing the mouse buttons with the middle of your fingers. I think they were designed for you to rest the center of your palm on the mouse and for your finger tips to reach the very front of the mouse.

Nexus Realized said:
I think only the VERY vertically challenged or ppl with servely small hands wouldn't cover an MX1000's mouse completely with their hand, unless ofcourse we're talking about small children. I also don't know of anyone who lays their wrists atop the back of the mouse or you'd be pressing the mouse buttons with the middle of your fingers. I think they were designed for you to rest the center of your palm on the mouse and for your finger tips to reach the very front of the mouse.

Well, the center of my palm is resting on the logo at the back, but I'm still forced to press the buttons with the second or third joint of my fingers.

I am a skinny person with slightly long fingers... I have both the MX518 and the MX1000 next to me, and both fit me well. The only problem with the MX1000 is the wheel really needs to be pushed forward and shouldn't stick out so much on the top. Other than that it's great.

Schalldampfer said:
Well, the center of my palm is resting on the logo at the back, but I'm still forced to press the buttons with the second or third joint of my fingers.

I can see what you're saying. I just tried adjusting my hand to where your hand would be located on the mouse ( resting on logo ) and I've got to say it is extremely uncomfortable. I rest my hand alot lower than you do which is probably why my tips are hitting the left/right buttons perfectly. I would say about 2 inches of my hand to my wrist are resting on the desk. The only thing I can recommend is lower your hand so it rests more on the desk. If all else fails and you're still uncomfortable with that much of your hand off the mouse you can get one of those neat boob mouse pads I saw on here last week :p

everything except for a razer feels awkward in my hand. my fingers are longer than normal and my old HP optical doesn't feel right. i have to curve my fingers up a lot.

-1cem4n

Nexus Realized said:

I have to use those baby mice that were made for children ages 3 and up. I am not vertically challenged... just have super tiny hands. I use that Logitech one that looks like a lady bug :D

Nexus Realized said:
I can see what you're saying. I just tried adjusting my hand to where your hand would be located on the mouse ( resting on logo ) and I've got to say it is extremely uncomfortable. I rest my hand alot lower than you do which is probably why my tips are hitting the left/right buttons perfectly. I would say about 2 inches of my hand to my wrist are resting on the desk. The only thing I can recommend is lower your hand so it rests more on the desk. If all else fails and you're still uncomfortable with that much of your hand off the mouse you can get one of those neat boob mouse pads I saw on here last week :p

Heh. Yeah. My hand wasn't actually on the logo exactly, but it was close. I feel that my wrist drags too much.

I don't like having half of my hand hanging off of the mouse so I've never felt comfortable using Logitech mice. My personal favorite when it comes to brands would be IBM.

there aren't any mice big enough for my hands..... I have a palm as wide as a CD/DVD. that doesn't include my fingers. ALL Mice are small and uncomfy for me.

Been using my wireless microsoft notebook mouse a lot the past few weeks and it's about 30% smaller than a normal mouse. I can feel the difference after about an hour of use as my hand and fingers start to cramp.

Razer Diamondback mouse, my hands are so-so in size and fingers long. It covers the entire mouse if I hold it a certain way, but I have no problems with this mouse at all.

I found finding the right pointer is difficult. There are two users for this computer. I have average size hands leaning to large. The other user has tiny hands. So far I found the trackball I am using fits both of the users needs for this computer. My Logitech mouse is in a box somewere since it was to large for comfortable use for the other user.

Fitting a pointing device to the user(s) is rather important.

TollhouseFrank said:
there aren't any mice big enough for my hands..... I have a palm as wide as a CD/DVD. that doesn't include my fingers. ALL Mice are small and uncomfy for me.

:eek: Your palm is pretty much the size of my hand!

My MX518 fist me perfectly - the MX510 did nice as well, this is why i love LT mice because they are larger - they feel light as a feather to me and they fit my hadn perfect.

I have a cheapo Dell mouse right now, made by Logitech. I also use a slightly smaller laptop mouse. My hands are 9" from base of palm to fingertips. So only my fingers are resting on the mouse, my whole palm is on the desk. It really limits mobility a lot and is a big disadvantage in FPS games. I really need a bigger mouse!

i dont hold my mouse with my hand flat on it, i have big hands as well - and my hand arcs when playing FPS so my base palm is on the bottom back and my finers are perfect - if i am lazy web surfing then my hand sit right on the mouse.

Back