• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you need for a games server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terminat.

I am planning to build and set up a server for CS: Source. However, I have several questions to ask:

1. Is my cable internet connection fast enough? It is 2mbit downstream, but only 256kbit upload speed.

2. What kind of system spec do you need for a dedicated server? Lots of memory?

3. I plan to have the server in an isolated part of the house, and so will use wi-fi. Will that be good enough, or will it have horrendous latency as opposed to wired networking?

Thanks for help in advance :)

Wireless has huge latency compared to wired and doesn't have enough reliability for hosting.

Part order of importance
+ Network speed
+ Memory speed
+ Hard drive speed
+ Processor speed (depends on the game)

256kbps isn't great for hosting, but it should be fine for a 6-8 player.

Thanks for the reply :)

Wireless has huge latency compared to wired and doesn't have enough reliability for hosting.

What, even if it is 54Mbps 802.11g technology? If it would improve it, I could spend the extra on 108Mbps 802.11g hardware if necessary. But otherwise, I guess wired is alright. So all wireless is unreliable then?

Definately do no not put your server on wireless, unless you want it to be pretty slow, even if it is on Wireless-G. You would also need good RAM, I suggest about 2 gigs, and processor speed should be decent without going overboard. A high-speed Celeron should be fine. You would probably also want a nice SATA HDD as well. The operative component here would be bandwith. THe more bandwith, the more player the server can hold, less lag, etcetera.

256kbps isn't great for hosting, but it should be fine for a 6-8 player.

What about 128kbps, would that be alright as well? Or, if it was 512kbps, would that make a significant difference?

It's more important to have a good internet connection over a good computer. The most important parts of hosting a CS server, aka HLS Dedicated, is the upload speed. Because, even with 512MB of ram, you can host up to 20 people if you have T1.

I'd say the upload/download speeds provided to by your ISP aren't too reliable, so I'd use something like www.dslreports.com/stest and see what's your true upload speeds.

If they say your upload speed is 512k, and at least the dslreport test gives you about 430k, then I'd say you can host up to 20 people pretty well. If you have the option of going up to 512kps for upload, that'll have a noticeable difference from a 256kps line.

I run mine on a P4 2.4ghz with about 500kps real time on 512MB of ram. I can host up to about 20 people pretty well.

Edit: Look at this guide: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=373795

Back