• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build Comments

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gehn

Build Advice

I am trying to put together my first build; mostly for Maya and video editing as well as an excellent gaming machine. I don't really have a specific budget other then I want to get the most out of my money. I would like over clocking to be an option and as future proof as possible.

Case - Antec Performance I P180 Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Mobo - ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Graphic Card - XFX PVT70FUNDE Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Monitor - Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor

PS - Antec TruePower 2.0 TRUECONTROL II-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply (unsure about this one, comments welcome)

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4400CDBOX

Ram - CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model cmx1024-3200c2 (two of them)

HD1 - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive (for windows and programs)

HD2 - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (for videos, music, files, ect)

DVD - NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A (two of them)

Sound Card - Creative X-Fi 70SB046600002 PCI Interface SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS

Wireless - LINKSYS WMP54G PCI Wireless-G Adapter

CPU Cooling - COOLER MASTER Hyper 6+ RR-UNH-P0U1 100 mm Rifle Bearing Cooling Fan/Heatsink

Speakers - Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speaker

OS - Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2 -oem

Total: $3,879

I'm pretty happy with this build, but I wanted to get some feedback on this setup before I order it. Thanks! :D

Last edited:
I'd say definitely get a different PSU. The Antecs aren't bad, but not that great for OCing and such nowadays. Considering your budget, you may want to opt for a OCZ PowerStream 520W at about $120ish.

I'd probably recommend getting a 2x1GB set in dual channel. Maybe the Crucial Ballsitx ram, that tends to OC really well in higher voltages. But since you have the ASUS board, the Crucial may not work too well in a lower vdimm board. Look at the OCZ Platinum 2x1GB.

If you really want to OC well, I'd go for the DFI boards of course. The ASUS Preminum has been seen to not OC too well, because of lower voltages then most boards. Maybe look at the Epox SLI boards if you want some simpler then the DFI and still OCs nearly as well.

Maybe get a XP-120 or SI-120 over the one you picked? You could always get the Thermaltake Sonic Tower as well.

Back