• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware, better option?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{ace of spades}

Disabled
I was extreamly tempted to buy an alienware computer for gaming. I have about $2,000 to spend and before i go ahead and order one, can anyone recommed an alienware like company / custom computer company that would posibly be a better bet ?

I love the alienware cases soo much, esp this one:

hdr_shot.jpg

so it will be a shame to miss out on that but if i can get myself a better deal id love to hear about it :D

Many thanks, James

just custom build a computer yourself, you can probably find a look-a-like case that wont have that logo but will look similar, or just get a completely different case that looks better.

no-one here (usually) will tell you to buy alienware, dell, hp, compaq or any other non-oc'ing machene, so id say just go to sites and search for products, get our ideas on it and then go from there. or just look at what other people are planning on building in your price range and go from that

btw- nice name, i love motorhead

Im not sure im ready, i mean i dont know what parts go with what and i have only a basic knowledge of computers.

I agree, build it yourself. I myself get get more joy from building a new computer than actually using it. You can make it exactly how you want it. There's thousands of options, from cases, CPU's mobos, PSU's, video cards, etc. And you dont have to OC, but at least you can have that option if you want to do so in the future.

And if you dont know what your doing just take some time and learn, it's a great experiance. Browse this forum for a couple months and you'll pick it up in no time.

It's far easier than you thinking building your own. Your gonna getting raped by going through alienware or the others.

If your not willing to put forth the effort though, I'd seriously say dell as you'll get a better computer for the price. But if you want looks to wooo the ladies, falcon northwest or alienware would be glad to take your cash

another vote for build it yourself!
you'll probably end up with a better machine, and nice cases are easy to find.
plus you'll get a sense of pride knowing that you built your own.
Now i wouldn't even consider buying a prebuilt pc. Building you own you also know that each piece is a quality component. You also know how to fix problems yourself instead of depending on a warranty.
These forums are all about building your own so there's plenty of information and help available.

Build it yourself.

It's not hard... I build my 1st rig myself at like 13.
Without much knowledge. Simply use these forums and google for some help.

The manual that come with motherboards explains what to plug where aswell.

No point in paying for the "Alienware" name, when you can make something better, for cheaper.

If i collect some parts from the net and list them could someone tell me if they will all fit together and work well and possibly tell me if i have made a dumb choice somewhere.

Sorry to ask, but i would never know nor would i have a clue how to find out =[

You can remove all doubt to "if it will fit" by just purchasing each component separately from the system that you configured in Alienware's site. There is no point in paying excess amounts of money because it says Alienware or because it's a pretty case. I'm sure you can find a replica case which is identical to the Alienware one and if you are that hardup for the name you can hit eBay for some Alienware stickers.

Build it yourself. I was also stuck in the realm of buying from companies like Comcrap (Compaq), Dell, etc. It is AWESOME to have something built by yourself, and IMO I think I did well. Fun also. So I agree, build it yourself. As for that case, you could look around for a similar case on google or ebay. Overall though: Build it.

EDIT: Oh darn it, Nexus beat me to the case suggestion. Argh :bang head. We're cool though :cool:

I once walked an 11 year old through building a PC over AIM, it took about 2 hours. Not hard. Had we used a phone, it probably would have taken half as long. If you are proficient at it, you can build a pc in under 15 minutes.

EDIT: I'd suggest pricing each of the parts Alienware has listed from www.newegg.com, and checking how much you'd save by going custom.

AlienWare is overpriced for what you get IMhO.

A while back I built a top end P4 gaming system for a friend. Tried real hard to
get him to go A64 - but that is another story. Basically, I saved him over $1k
and it's faster than the Alienware sys he was looking at. Just not in a fancy schmancy case.

TenementFunster said:
I've always wondered how many overpriced systems Alienware sells just because of their gaudy cases.

Every company has a gimmick. For Alienware their success has been because of their cases.

EDIT: BTW I just wanted to add that I do love their cases. Just not enough to get suckered into buying one.

Use vendors like zipzoomfly.com or newegg.com to find some good prices on parts. I use pricegrabber.com because it shows a variety of vendors.

I'd also recommend building your own. After you build it for the first time, you'd know how to do it from then on. It's not too hard, you can learn as you go along.

If you want opinions on your setup, just make a post labeling, "please review my setup" or something like that.

{ace of spades} said:
Im not sure im ready, i mean i dont know what parts go with what and i have only a basic knowledge of computers.

I highly suggest building a computer as well. Pre-builts are over priced.

As for the difficulty of building one yourself, I was a total idiot when it came to computers when I built my first one. Went without a hitch. It's mostly just common sense. And people around here will be more than glad to help.

Build it yourself... build it yourself... build it yourself... Can't emphasize it enough. Those vendors put in so much useless stuff, it's a bother just trying to recover a system to its original state. There's also the fear of vendors' using second-rate parts, whereas you can build your own with the security of knowing what you used and also having spent less. Also, just ask for some help here. The people are friendly and very helpful.

Back