• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendation for a CPU Mobo Combo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GV2NIX

I posted in the general mobo section, but I don't think people go there very much, so I'm posting here.

I'm helping a friend of mine upgrade. I'm looking for a good cpu/mobo combo (AMD or Intel) for about $150. The only must haves are:

Onboard Networking (doesn't have to have gigaLAN or CSA)
Onboard Sound (doesn't have to be 5.1)
Min 2 IDE channels
Dual Channel DDR
No SATA needed
No PCIe needed

Probably going to have to go used or refurb, but I just want to know what you guys think I should look for. The rig will not be oc'd, only mem timings will be tweaked. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance guys! :)

sure, PCIe would be nice, but it'll probably put me over budget right? As long as it has onboard video, it should be fine, cause I don' think my friend is even going to buy a video card.

I heard the ASUS A8N SLI Preminum has some of the best onboard video and sound.

Why not wait for the new Geforce 6100s? Those are supposed to be the new gen of motherboards supporting some of the best onboard video possible.

Edit: Oh wait, you wanted a CPU+mobo for $150. That'll probably be quite hard. I'd probably just get some cheap ECS skt939 mobo with a A64 2800+.

Yeah, I'm really not looking for exceptional performance here, just some cheap (but reliable) mobo with a cheap (but reliable) cpu for $150 that has onboard networking, sound, and video. My friend currently has an Athlon 1.2GHz with 256MB of PC-2100 RAM with a dying mobo, so I just want to put something together that will be a huge improvement over that, you know? I think that's totally doable for $150.

Well, actually, will onboard video make it that much more expensive? I'm no asking for the latest nForce or anything...it shouldn't drive up the cost too much right? If it will, then I guess no onboard video, I can just supply a crap video card I have lying around.

Actually, I'm being too specific here, I'm just wondering in general some brand names for mobos and what kind of processor speeds (AMD or Intel) I should be looking at to roughly meet the budget. So, any ballpark figures or loose ideas will be appreciated, don't have to be very specific. Thanks guys!

GV2NIX said:
I posted in the general mobo section, but I don't think people go there very much, so I'm posting here.

Double posting is not allowed at OC Forums. I took the liberty of deleting your other thread, please refrain from doing this in the future. Also, since this combines Mobo and CPU, this really belongs in General Hardware, so I moved it. Thanks and please be more careful in the future. Best of luck with your new setup.
:)

Matt

Oh woops, I'm so sorry, I didn't know. If I could've deleted my own thread, I would have before I reposted. Didn't mean to break the rules, it won't happen again! :bang head Thanks for letting me know, didn't mean to cause any trouble!

GV2NIX said:
Oh woops, I'm so sorry, I didn't know. If I could've deleted my own thread, I would have before I reposted. Didn't mean to break the rules, it won't happen again! :bang head Thanks for letting me know, didn't mean to cause any trouble!

Don't worry about it. I figured you just didn't know.
:)

Matt

Would you consider a Sempron 64? The Sempron 3100+ is $105 at newegg.
Or how about a Celeron 340 for $96
LGA 775 Pentium 4 505 2.66 GHz 533 fsb for $115

There are a few mobos with onboard video for around $50.
I would get this Asrock socket 754 with the Sempron
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157078

Asrock socket 478 w/915 chipset for the Celeron at $55 with shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157075

PCChips LGA 775 $45 with shipping for the P4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813185046

Alright, it seems like the upgrade will have to wait for a while (budgeting problems). Thanks for the suggestions so far though. I'll post back in a week or two probably.

Back