• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UDMA is not working properly :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d3v

Does anyone know why I can't utilize UDMA fully on my system?

Both my harddrives support UDMA up to 4 yet I cant set it to anything higher than 2!!!!!

What the hell is going on here????

My system...

Dell Optiplex GX150 (really, really old)
Windows 2000 Pro SP4
Intel PIII 1ghz
256MB SD RAM
Hitachi 60 GB drive
Maxtor 20gb drive

The drivers are on the same cable in master-clave config

Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about...

u1ntitled6yp.jpg

untitled3kn.opt.jpg

I've tried setting it to 4 countless times but its no good. It just keeps itself at 2.

Is it becuase my hardware dosen't support UDMA 4 or what?

Please, I really want this setting at 4.

Know Nuttin said:
are you using an ATA100 cable?

AHH so the cable matters!

That's good news becuase I know I'm using an old cable but I have some new ones up stairs!

Thank you man, it never crossed my mind about the IDE cable.

I'll swap it right not, thanks again :santa:

yup worked a treat but one problem...

untitled5ck.jpg

My slave drive - Maxtor 20gb, is only able to be set to UDMA2 even though it can support UMDA5.

Why is this?

Is it because its a slave drive or what?

Thanks.

Last edited:
any particular reason why your optical is the primary master and the hard drives are on the secondary channel?

I would put the optical and Maxtor together, and the WD on its own. Try that config first.

Know Nuttin said:
any particular reason why your optical is the primary master and the hard drives are on the secondary channel?

I would put the optical and Maxtor together, and the WD on its own. Try that config first.

I dident know it reqally mattered.

while I was changing the cable I thought it would be better to swap the two hard drives to primary and the optical to secondary but I never though of the config you just suggested.

I will do it but the cable will not be able to stretch between the optical and the maxtor :(

Also, if the maxtor and optical were on secondary, do I have to put them in master-slave config? If so, who is master and who is slave? And also, would the jumper config be the same as if putting two harddrives in master-slave config or will it be different considering an optical drive is involved?

Thanks aagain m8.

try using cable select on the secondary if you intend to keep the drives there.

Drive to drive transfers are faster if the drives are on separate IDE channels. I dont' know if you do a lot of this.

Yes, with IDE, you always either have to set a master/slave when using 2 devices on the same cable, or use cable select. Doesn't matter what the devices are.

Know Nuttin said:
try using cable select on the secondary if you intend to keep the drives there.

Drive to drive transfers are faster if the drives are on separate IDE channels. I dont' know if you do a lot of this.

Yes, with IDE, you always either have to set a master/slave when using 2 devices on the same cable, or use cable select. Doesn't matter what the devices are.

Ya I do a hell of alot of drive to drive transfers and thats the main reason I want UDMA5.

Is there anyway to get the Maxtor and the optical drive together in master/slave config on secondary and leave my primary harddrive on primary?

My IDE cable does not reach between my optical and maxtor so I do'nt know what to do.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I have an optiplex 1 ghz as well(in closet for spare parts).I beleive that the original Maxtor is a 5400 rpm drive.I never checked it to be sure but it was painfully slow,even for a 5400 speed drive.When I removed it I found that the IDE cable had a hole punched into the mobo end that affected at least 3 wires.It looked to be intentional but I can't be sure.It may be the drive limiting the speed.

shadowdr said:
I have an optiplex 1 ghz as well(in closet for spare parts).I beleive that the original Maxtor is a 5400 rpm drive.I never checked it to be sure but it was painfully slow,even for a 5400 speed drive.When I removed it I found that the IDE cable had a hole punched into the mobo end that affected at least 3 wires.It looked to be intentional but I can't be sure.It may be the drive limiting the speed.

Hi, that does indeed sound intentional, did you contact Dell?

Also, I replaced the Maxtor 20gb 5400rpm for a 20gb 7200rpm about a year ago.

Back