• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

couldnt even believe it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkknight187

So i'm going to a technical type school for a technical program taking a technical class because i have too, now i should have tested out but it was my fault for not making the correct contacts last month for it.

So anyways i'm in this class Computers math and the internet (i know it'll be a breeze for me, the final project is putting a pc together on paper under a budget) so anyways todays lecture was about CPUs and some other stuff so i was already good and ready to hear all of the pc propaganda.

anyways he gets into the cpu's and starts talking about intel's skt478 being the biggest socket right now, although imo i think theirs would be the lga775 but thats not worth arguing over, so then he talks about how bent pins kill cpus and yea it's half true but i have read OCF stories about fixing bent pins and even getting cpus to work by putting broken pins within their correct hole.

So then he gets to talking about amd and their most recent sockets for the 64's and he mentions the 754 then goes on to talk about 939 and how it runs the normal line of those processors, the FX series, and the opteron series. ok thats not right i figure i'll just mention it on break. so break comes and i say something about opteron being on the skt940 being that the extra pin is the multi-processor capability (i believe thats what i read, and it sounds logical) then he's like yea they used to be but they've all migrated to the 939 and that 939 processors will run on a 940 board (now this i am unsure of but the safe bet is that he doesnt know ****) Now i have been behind the times in the proc realm so i figured maybe it was true then i searched newegg for a skt939 opteron to get 0 results....

to make a long story short like the geeksquad this man will be on my list of people i will argue any point that i'm 100% sure they've got wrong.

i want to meet those people. i just like teasing people who think they know about computers(especially little kids). i want this class so bad.

-1cem4n

be careful how you challenge him. If you do it with facts and can back it up and show it to him, and do so in a cordial manner, then he will likely approve and thank you for the help. If you go about it in a confrontational method, he will buck-up and make your class life miserable... and no matter how much you know on the subject.... you'll still mysteriously barely pass the class....

TollhouseFrank said:
be careful how you challenge him. If you do it with facts and can back it up and show it to him, and do so in a cordial manner, then he will likely approve and thank you for the help. If you go about it in a confrontational method, he will buck-up and make your class life miserable... and no matter how much you know on the subject.... you'll still mysteriously barely pass the class....

This man speaks the truth! Happend to me before. I'm the only person to get a C- in Dirver's ED that year,and this one kid crashed the car even got a higher grade.

Last edited:
LutaWicasa said:

yes i read that later within the night last night, and although he does speaketh part of the truth when i spoke with him he was giving the impression that ALL opterons where moving to skt 939 and after doing some more homework that i hope is correct basically AMD is moving their whole 1xx line to 939, calling it a workstation processor but leaving anything multiprocessor to the 940 pin. if this is correct then it's obvious why, they had a complete tank with leaving the XP and MP on the same platform.... people would just be using the cheaper cpu's yet again in their MP systems

Captain Newbie said:
Don't think they're pinout-equivalent, don't quote me on that, as I have not looked at the datasheets lately, but don't think it's a just a matter of that. *shrugs*

939 processors won't run a 940 board because they don't use a lot of their extra pins that 940 requires.

Back