• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You guys helped me before...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bart

..I'm hoping you can do it again. I've just bought some PC2400 Kingmax DDR Ram (2x256mb). My system (Athlon C 1.2ghz, ASUS A7M266 Motherboard) will only recognise it as PC2100. Any way to change this? It is running fine, but I would like to know if I can run at PC2400, presuming it may be a little faster. Any ill effects from running this ram in my system, if it will only recognise PC2100? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

just because you put ram in your computer rated for 150FSB doesnt mean you computer will automaticaly change to 150FSB....

This RAM is rated for 150, so you should be able to change your FSB from 133 to 150 and not have to worry about your RAM being to slow.... So just change your FSB to 150 and you should be fine. (aslong as your CPU can do 1350 that is)

So...I have to overclock my CPU to get the proper speed out of the ram? Fair enough. I hoped there was another way, though. What (if any) Motherboards can recognise it as the PC2400 without adjusting the FSB?

what FSB are you running your system at. the PC2400 rated memory will allow you to run your system at a higher FSB providing that your system and components can handle this.
the Kingmax DDR memory I have is PC2100 but is rated to 'perform' like PC2400 at no point does my memory actually claim to be PC2400, this is not to say that it does not perform well. I can hit 158 mhz FSB cas 2 and get 160 mhz FSB at cas 2.5 without any heat spreaders, so im hoping for a little bit more once I get these

that is normal even if you up the FSB to 150 and then reset puter itll still say pc2100, even thought its at 150 not 133.

All pc2400 is, is pc2100 that has tested to hit pc2400 speed, its just pc2100 sold as pc2400 cause when pushed it can do that

well i rebooted and raised my overclock just for you. see how its way above pc2100 speeds (160/320) and it is pc2400 but still shows up as pc2100

pretty damn good, and they are even better at less agressive settings and the FSB at 172, that is the max that i have ever attained

Maybe the reason your mobo doesn't "tell you" it's PC 2400, is that PC2400 is not an "officially" recognized DDR Memory. I believe that it was somthing Corsair came up to identify it's speed capabilities with, when they introduced it. I believe, that the new PC2700 is "official"

Doctor

During boot, isn't it just reading the SPD on the memory dimm?

If it's PC2100 it will read "PC2100", irrespective of your actual bus speed, as [OC] Jason has demonstrated in the above photo...

chaosdriven said:
During boot, isn't it just reading the SPD on the memory dimm?

If it's PC2100 it will read "PC2100", irrespective of your actual bus speed, as [OC] Jason has demonstrated in the above photo...

It very well coud be, however, PC2400 doesn't even "officially" exist. There's no way to know if theSPD is even programmed to read PC2400. It could be that it's programmed to read PC2100 so as not to cause problems on mobo's that don't support the "unofficial" PC2400?

Just my $.02

Doctor

Back