• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Automatically set process preferences?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sheepeeshaun

Is there any way to make it so that windows XP starts a process and sets its affinity to only one processor (P4 HT processor). I want it to start the windows media player (newest version) with its process automatically set to run only on CPU 1 instead of both as when it runs on both logical CPUs it slows down my 3D visual plug-in giving jittery graphics (setting it manually every time media player starts get tedious)

Any help welcome, Gouck.

Last edited:
well i do not believe that you can do it with the windows task manager, but I think there are a few 3rd party tools/proggys out there that will do what you want. i cant think of any off the top of my head but im sure someone else knows of one

edit: quick search on tomshardware (thats where i heard of one) and i think that the tool they have will do you good. http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040528/index.html

Back