• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing SATA on ABIT IC7-G Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ritek

Well, first off i have abit's IC7-G board, and im tring to add my SATA drive as the ONLY drive on it. When i try to put windows XP on the drive, Windows so kindly tells me that it doesnt detect any mass storage devices.

I have ABIT's nice floppy that came with my board and it has numerous drivers for SATA on it. Not sure which ones to use. I have it plugged in SATA port 1.

It doesnt show up in BIOS.

any help would be awesome

You probably need to enable the SATA controller in the BIOS. Think I just used the "auto" setting with mine. The floppy disk with SATA drivers on it are for setting up RAID.

so i dont even need to use the floppy? i think my default setting in BIOS was "Auto"

Not sure how similar your mobo is to my IC7-MAX3, but on mine you have to enable "On Chip Serial ATA" under "On Chip IDE Device" in order to use the two native SATA ports. To use the four ports on the controller, you have to enable "Serial ATA Controller" under "Onboard PCI Device". To boot from these drives, select the appropriate option under "Bootable Add-in Device".

Your OS will boot perfectly fine from a SATA port. You just have to configure your BIOS properly. All of the details should be included in your manual, if my guidelines weren't helpful.

Connect disk to SATA 1
In Integrated Peripherals select OnChip IDE Device and set OnChip Serial ATA to Enhanced Mode. Check OnChip Serial ATA Mode shows IDE and SATA RAID ROM is Enabled (so you can boot from the hard disk).

You have to use press F6 or whatever the button is for using a third party SCSI driver at the XP install screen. Then use the drivers on the floppy drive. This is after you enable the controllers in the BIOS like the others said :)

Back