• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TV question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

My sister wants to buy herself a new TV so she asked me what is better, Plasma or LCD TVs

As I don't know a thing about these stuff I was hoping someone here could help me out :)

Actually I think that traditional CRT's give you the best image quality...im not a fan of LCD or Plasma. If you plan on using those for games then you have to be careful about burn-in, which is all too common on those types of TV's. I would suggest, if your not willing to get a big and bulky CRT, to go for a DLP. The only problem that could arise from having one of these though is something called the rainbow effect. There are a certain percentage of users who report headaches and such after viewing from a DLP set because there eyes detect rapid color changes or something...not exactly sure what it is but just make sure that if you do decide on one, then go to the store first and test one out for a little bit to make sure your not one of the few it affects.

Plasma is typicly for bigger televisions, LCD is for smaller ones, Large LCD is more expensive than Large Plasma, for a tv for a bedroom you are probly going to get the best deal with LCD

as far as i know LCD has a slightly cleaner picture but i think thats mostly becasue LCD is typically smaller than plasma

basicly you are fine with either one, just look at prices and screen sizes

It will largely depend on your budget and size preferences. Neither is a clear winner over-all.

If you just need something to display TV in a limited space (like a bedroom) the most reasonable option is to simply buy an LCD monitor, then use an external VGA/tuning box that will allow you to convert Coax, Composite RCA, or S-Video to a VGA connection for the monitor.

Crt still have the best black levels. Plasma comes in second. And lcd a distant third because of thier backlights. If you are talking about a larger screen, 52 and up, plasma and lcd get exspensive quick. The 32 inch ten year old crt magnovox in my bedroom has almost as nice a picture as my new hdtv in the living room. I still like crt better than most of the new tech tvs.

Back