• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A good computer Reccomendations needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rozal

Banned
I have a friend of mine and he needs the cheapest parts available. He have seen a hp with a 3500+ Anthlon 512 ram and a 200 gb hard drive for $600.

He would be mostly doing work on there. Like Auto CAD and Microsoft Office.
He requested AMD anthlon 3700+(s939), gig of ram,dvdrom, and at least 160gb hard drive. Mouse + keyboard + speakers, and a flat panel.
He will most likely not play games so he can settle for a 32mb or 64mb gfx card.

For the parts he wants the cheapest. He is buying a full computer. He didn't mention anything about case, mobo, or PSU. Just make sure it will work like a socket 939 mobo, that's half way decent but cheap. PSU that will run his system.

Thanks

Well, If he's going to run AutoCAD, name brands would not be the way to go. These systems have on board video. AutoCAD would fail to install as it would need a good GPU to run. Nvidia makes the Quadro4 line of cards. But they are not cheap.

When you go "CHEAP" the word "unreliable" also comes into play....

check into modding the latest geforce cards into quadro's...I know in the past you could do it with software most of the time and sometimes requried a hardware mod.
A software mod would be great since you can switch back and forth for if he does game...but definetly gonna want a quadro....I know ti4200's could mod to quadro, so justpickup a cheap one of those and mod it

For a budget of $600, I don't think you should get the 3700+.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ $142.99
Corsair 2x512MB Value Series $88.99
Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 160GB $76.87
PNY Technologies Quadro 4 200 NVS Video Card $96.00
Liteon SOHD-16P9S DVD-ROM $20.00
Logitech Cordless Desktop LX 500 (Black) $29.00
Logitech X-230 2.1 Speaker System $29.95
Sharp LL-T15G4 15" LCD Monitor $151.00
Total: $635

The cheapest LCD is a 15inch at $150

Looks pretty decent. A wireless keyboard/mouse for $30 is a good deal. Plus the video card should work well with autoCAD.

I don't see a powersupply so you could throw in a good 350w psu for $30 as long as he runs stock. And i hear good things about the asus rock motherboards since darksparkz didn't add a mobo in either. I think the only way he could hit $600 was if he got either a celeron or semperon system since $735 is pretty far over budget with the minimum of parts.

His budget is actually $800. I dont know much about AutoCAD or what you need, thanks for the fill in, and for the list darksparkz. I imaging he can get the 3700 with a ~800 dollar budget. Ill Run these specifications by him.

Yeah, it's tough to match budjet pre-builts. Particualy if you want quality parts at the same price.

And dont forget, you will also need to add a case to that list, and HSF if the proc is OEM.

I just called him and he said it was a very good. Just need a good case, power supply, and maybe a fan or two to keep it cool.
Can you tell me where you got all those prices, be much appreciated.

My system was 850, in sig.

No 3700, but its damn fine for the money, or so I think.

Take off the 6600 make it the Quado 4 thing, add the 160 gig HDD, then well...I guess lower some stuff to make room for the other things. I forgot you need so much otehr stuff..

ckj said:
I don't see a powersupply so you could throw in a good 350w psu for $30 as long as he runs stock. And i hear good things about the asus rock motherboards since darksparkz didn't add a mobo in either. I think the only way he could hit $600 was if he got either a celeron or semperon system since $735 is pretty far over budget with the minimum of parts.

The reason I didn't include PSU or mobo is that in the first post he said he doesn't need it.
"He didn't mention anything about case, mobo, or PSU." So yeah, but I'd have to adjust other prices if you want to include a mobo and PSU.

I got most of my prices off www.pricegrabber.com, it gives a large variety of different vendors including their individual shipping prices as well.

Rozal He didn't mention anything about case said:
Well from there I thought he meant the guy just doesn't know what psu/mobo/case he needs. Guess we interpreted the english wrong. I don't care either way.

About that 3700+ I'd drop it if I was him, I don't know how cpu hungry Auto-Cad is but unless he wants to drop $270 on a proc (more than 1/3 of the total price) I'd rather use the money on a bigger LCD screen (15' is pretty small imo). He could fit it in but it would require getting the cheapest everything and imo it really wouldn't be worth it.

Back