• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for program to schedule reboots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nookie

Does anyone know of a program that will allow me to schedule reboots for windows XP? For example, if i want the computer to reboot at 8pm everyday. I did a google search and pc inspector task manager seemed like it did exactly what i want. But there is absolutely no documentation or explanations on how to use it. I tried it but it didn't function as it should of. Any ideas?

Thanks

oh yeah forgot to mention, i was looking for a program thats free =)

XP comes with a built in command to shutdown/reboot the system. The command switches are as follows:

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Arfing Poofy>shutdown /?
Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx] [-c "c
omment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

No args                 Display this message (same as -?)
        -i                      Display GUI interface, must be the first option
        -l                      Log off (cannot be used with -m option)
        -s                      Shutdown the computer
        -r                      Shutdown and restart the computer
        -a                      Abort a system shutdown
        -m \\computername       Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort
        -t xx                   Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds
        -c "comment"            Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)
        -f                      Forces running applications to close without warning
        -d [u][p]:xx:yy         The reason code for the shutdown
                                u is the user code
                                p is a planned shutdown code
                                xx is the major reason code (positive integer less than 256)
                                yy is the minor reason code (positive integer less than 65536)

For example, the command shutdown -r -t 60 should display a message explaining the computer will reboot in 60 seconds, and then once the timer runs out actually reboot the computer. If a document is open and unsaved it may not work, so the addition of the -f switch may be of use.

To get the computer to reboot at 8:00PM, just make a scheduled task to run the command at 8:00PM daily :)

JigPu

this looks very simple. Do i have to write a script of some sort? and how do i make a scheduled task and make it run this command?

here is your script

open notepad and type

Code:
shutdown -r -t 01

save it as reboot.bat and set the scheduler to run it at whatever time you want and run it as administrator. the number after t is the amount of time till reboot. I have the example at 1 second.

You probably don't even have to make a batch file like ebola outlines (though it definatly will work :)). I'm pretty sure that you can just put the command into the add scheduled task dialog without problems too.

JigPu

Awesome, thanks guys it works perfectly now. Now i have another scripting question. Is it possible to write a script to close a program? Reason i ask is because ill have bitcomet (bittorrent client) running when my shutdown script is executed. I want to let the program close on its own without forcing it to close. If bitcomet is forced to close, will it affect my download and will i have to redownload from the beginning? or will it resume where it left off?

thanks again

Back