• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitech MX1000 round up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

Since early July of this year, I've been a proud owner of a Logitech MX1000 Wireless Laser Mouse, thanks to my good friend shard. :)

Well even though my MX1000 is a Revision 2, it does still have the jumpy mouse curser, even with the most up to date SetPoint software. I've tried moving it to PS/2 like Logitech recommends, but it actually gets worse and jumps around even more than it does on USB. Not to mention you loose the extra button capabilities if you have it on PS/2.

Although shard didn't have this problem when running the mouse on the PS/2 port, it lead me to believe it was a problem with select batches of this mouse. Kind of like how different batches of CPUs will overclock differently than others. shard has been nice enough to help me with any questions or problems I've had with my mouse, and he said that the erratic curser behavior eventually goes away with time on our mice (he has the same revision), which seems to be true, as I'm not noticing it nearly as much as before.

I was lucky enough to be the owner of a SECOND MX1000 Wireless Laser Mouse, thanks to Nero of these forums. It has barely been use, no wear to the mouse, and the mouse feet are nearly in mint condition. In fact, the protective film that covers the word "MX LASER" at the back of the mouse and the silver plastic around the laser lens hole on the bottom of the mouse, was still on the mouse! And yes, the mouse does work with my existing base station. :)

The first revision of the mouse, with part number 852152-0000, has a flat metallic blue-ish plastic finish. And the plastic part around the scroll wheel and buttons is silver.

The second revision of the mouse, with part number 852152-1000, has a acrylic sealed deep blue finish, giving it a much prettier look compared to it's older brother. Instead of the silver plastic around the scroll wheel and buttons, it has a black plastic piece.

So far only visual chrematistics have been the difference between these two revisions. Both mice use the same model of base station, 831145-0000, which is why the first revision mouse still works with the base station of my second revision mouse.

Here are some pictures of the two mice together.

Closest: Rev. 1 | Farthest: Rev. 2
Picture%20006.jpg

Closest: Rev. 2 | Farthest: Rev. 1
Picture%20008.jpg

Left: Rev. 1 | Right: Rev. 2.
Picture%20009.jpg

Left: Rev. 1 | Right: Rev. 2
Picture%20014.jpg

Left: Rev. 1 | Right: Rev. 2
Picture%20012.jpg

I will be experimenting with the Rev. 1 mouse for the next month, updating this thread each time I set it up to charge or whenever I run into a problem with it. I will be swapping out my current base station for the one that came with the Rev. 1 after two chargings of the mouse, running it on USB. After two chargings with the base station on USB, I will move it over to PS/2 and compare that way as well.

I'm guessing they did a firmware update on Rev. 2 in attempts to fix the erratic curser behavior everyone was complaining about when the mouse was first released. I'm going to see which one has more problems, and wether it's the mouse or base station. So far the Rev.1 hasn't jumpped, but if it doesn't jump at all in the next week or so, I'd say it's safe to say it's the base station that needs "broken in". Which might explain why my Rev. 2 works great after two months.

Heh. Proud owner of Rev. 2 here. And I would like to report and emphasize no lag or erratic cursor behavior. I have it in PS/2, for all my USB ports are filled up. I do, however, experience no response at boot sometimes. Usually rebooting solves this problem. Heh. I've been replying to your other thread, Celeron Phreak. Perhaps we should make an MX1000 Owners' Club.

There is a tweak around that can update the USB refresh speed, possibly that could help?

I had that issue when I first got the mouse, returned the mouse for a new one, and my next one had the same problem, but after awhile, still using the USB port, it started to cease more and more. Possibly its just a usage issue, you have only had it for 3 months, and its doing that still, give it some more time, hopefully it will start to correct itself.

So in either case, keep this thread updated. I plan to return my current MX1000 for a new one, this one is realy beat up. I work at the place I got our MX1000's, so it wont be an issue whatsoever. :D

I'm not sure, do you have a link that I can download this tweak from? I'd be interested in trying it out.

Update: I've been using this mouse casually for the past four days, just browsing the internet, chatting and doing misc. other things in windows. So far it's only jumped on me five times, in four to five hour intervals, which is better than what my original one was doing when I first got it. It would twitch every 5 to 10 minutes!

Battery life seems good, it's only dropped one bar from a full charge four days ago.

Last edited:
whoa, I never knew they had a rev.1 and rev.2.

The mx1000 is a rev1. and I had the cursor jumping only when i pushed quickswitch button or scroll button. Moving to the ps/2 port fixed all my problems and it works flawless now.

UPDATE

Last night at about 1:20 AM the battery meter has dropped to one green block.

This is one reason why I love the MX1000 soo much. Battery life is mind blowing.

Yeah, it does seem to cause more perspiration in the palms than this Rev. 1 does.

The battery indicator has now given me the red bock. I should have another 1.5 hours left in it, if not less. I'll update again when it dies.

<update>

The mouse battery fully drained one me just now. Not bad for battery life though, considering I've been using the mouse since the 29th, casually. I only gamed with it twice for about an hour each time, to.

</update>

The jumppiness seems to become less frequent as the battery drains. Now that it's dead, I'll let it charge and we'll see how much it jumps after the Rev. 2 drains.

My Rev 1 will do the erratic cursor thing once every week or so, but if I use my wood desk rather than the polished marble tile I use as a mouse pad, the problem ceases. I can then go back to the marble after 15 minutes and the problem won't recur for another week.

I use mine for very exacting vector work, so an erratic cursor is the kiss of death; the intermittent and seemingly arbitrary nature of this issue for my mouse is very strange. I just wonder if there is (will) be a way to update the firmware...

Mouse just died on me, update time.

I used the Rev. 2 with the Rev. 1's base station and I didn't notice any erratic movements the whole time. Just a wee bit odd.

I'm now using the Rev. 1 with the same base station (Rev. 1 base station) and we'll see if it jumps around any. So far, I'm willing to guess that the Rev. 2 base station is just buggy on it's own, and the Rev. 1 base stations are less buggy. I'll try to dig up some more info on them and figure out this Logitech secret.

Like I said, the jumpiness just starts to go away.

Also I will toss in my own update, I exchanged my mouse at where I used to work at and got another one, same rev, but it somewhat seems to have a lower battery life, but suffers from no jumpiness. Will add some of my own input later.

Hope you dont mind C_P, since this is somewhat a joint venture. :D

Last edited:
I have a rev.1 and have not noticed any jumpiness at all. I recharge once a week, usually after it drops down to 2 green bars. It seems after it drops one bar it loses its charge fast, dropping the second bar within a day or so. I've only let it get down to 1 bar a few times, and never till it turns red.

Back