• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok I broke this "black thing" on my ASUS P5LD2 Mobo :\

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CordialSpam

13131538020uc.jpg

My mobo has this mem controller problem so I decided to send it back to ASUS for rma..ok so I tried to take out the mobo..but that one screw was stripped, so I had to use pliers to take it out..but I accidently broke that little black thing on it..and on the ASUS RMA..it says if there are any phisical damage on the mobo..they wil refuse the RMA...wtf..am I gonna be ok??? is this mobo still gonna live? I hope so..:( I hope they didn't notice that black peice is gone when I send it back..or maybe I should superglue that thing? :p

can you solder?
from the pic, it looks like a mosfet, or some type of controller. most probably they wont notice i think ;), i mean that thing looks like 1mmx1mm LOL

yeah, even though they say that, i'm guessing they don't enforce it all too much unless the motherboard is obviously cracked in half or something. i would try it anyways.

I would solder it back on, and then send it. Do it neat. Obviously the board was messed up b4 the rma, so I don't think that's immoral either.

Meh that thing is like impossible to solder..it is TOO SMALL and it looks like half of the edges were soldered UNDER..and I'm pretty noob to soldering...

board was borked anyway, as zip22 said I highly doubt they will check that every tiny component is there

Well, if the board was useless before you did that, then I would be inclined to consider it to be unrelated damage. As long as you tell Asus what the nature of the problem was beforehand, then they will be able to test it and see for themselves. The only problem that I could see was if the original problem was that part not being attached properly in the first place but then Asus would know that they had made a whole batch of bad board with that problem and you just got the one that slipped through.

The one thing that I would not do is try to fix the board. Send it out exactly as you have it. If they try to waffle on accepting the RMA then you can say how it happened to get broken. But if you try to fix it, then it may end up looking as if you knew there was a problem and you tried to patch it to cover your own error (which from what you say, you did not) but a bad fix could cause you more grief than you really need.

Then too, why would you even need to fix something that you intend to have replaced?

CordialSpam said:
Board is sent out without that black chip..I hope they'll send a good replacement back FAST..

They will.

Good thing you didn't try to reattach it.

I had an AI7 that shead some parts, and Abit took care of it.

Good choice, definately a good thing to send it back truthfully, ASUSTek is a good company.

3000 POSTS!@

fishy: where have you BEEN?

He spent his whole summer with his motorcycle probably...

Ever get that headphone thing plugged in yet or what?

g0dM@n said:
He spent his whole summer with his motorcycle probably...

Ever get that headphone thing plugged in yet or what?

Nah, blew the headphones, and bought a new helmet.

I'm semi back into computers.

Just bought an 830 and a P5dw2.

Look for some 4ghz+ dual core action.

When I rma'd my p5wd2 for a memory slot problem, they emailed me a picture of the cpu socket and said I had 48hrs to pay them 40.00 via credit card only for a damaged cpu socket to be replaced or they were going to reject the board without even testing to see what was really wrong with it. I explained to them that the bent pins occured when I was placing the slot cover to shipped out for rma. They said they will not accept any boards with physical damage. So I had to pay the 40.00 to replace the cpu socket. They sent me a brand new board so obviously they couldn't fix what was wrong with the memory circuitry, and they kept my 40.00. If you ask me they are about the worst tech support wise. Very rude and unprofessional.

RangerXLT8 said:
When I rma'd my p5wd2 for a memory slot problem, they emailed me a picture of the cpu socket and said I had 48hrs to pay them 40.00 via credit card only for a damaged cpu socket to be replaced or they were going to reject the board without even testing to see what was really wrong with it. I explained to them that the bent pins occured when I was placing the slot cover to shipped out for rma. They said they will not accept any boards with physical damage. So I had to pay the 40.00 to replace the cpu socket. They sent me a brand new board so obviously they couldn't fix what was wrong with the memory circuitry, and they kept my 40.00. If you ask me they are about the worst tech support wise. Very rude and unprofessional.

I've never had good luck with with ASUS MBs, but I can't say that I had bad support.

Everything was replaced, quickly, and with out charges.

{PMS}fishy said:
I've never had good luck with with ASUS MBs, but I can't say that I had bad support.

Everything was replaced, quickly, and with out charges.
hehe i had the tech support rep from hell.

Hi,
Ive got to say, Asus support very poor.
I had a bad motherboard driver CD with my motherboard. You would think it would be easy for them to send another CD.
After loads of emails, letters still no drivers CD........ So no more Asus products for me!

Duster said:
Hi,
Ive got to say, Asus support very poor.
I had a bad motherboard driver CD with my motherboard. You would think it would be easy for them to send another CD.
After loads of emails, letters still no drivers CD........ So no more Asus products for me!

Why not download the stuff from the Asus FTP site?

Or contact the reseller.

I don't think I'd bother to waste the time trying to contact Asus for such a simple request.

Back