• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to use the back up tool?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

I know how to make a comeplte back up, what i want to do is to update the back ups with the files that have been modified since last back up. how do i do that?

I haven't worked much with NTBACKUP but it looks like you can do differentials with it from command line.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/25961/25961.html?Ad=1

If your just backing up files you could use robocopy. Its another free utility from MS for copying files. It has some nice filtering features like the ability to only copy modified and new files.

Or if your an ubergeek like me you can also use shadowcopy which has the nice feature to save versions although you have to remember to occasionally purge shadowcopies because they fragment.

ati said:
I know how to make a comeplte back up, what i want to do is to update the back ups with the files that have been modified since last back up. how do i do that?

Use the backup utility that comes w/XP and run thru the wizard. You can start with a complete backup, then schedule incrementals.

hmm this NTBACKUP seem to be "unreliable" must be because its by microsoft..:D
Whats a good program to back up with?

ati said:
hmm this NTBACKUP seem to be "unreliable" must be because its by microsoft..:D
Whats a good program to back up with?

haha. have you used a professional program like backup exec. Its the same freakin thing with a few bells and whistles.

Back