• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended Mozilla Software Extensions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZhengHe

In and effort to separate the wheat from the chaff this thread has been devoted to Firefox and Thunderbird extensions, which me and others have found particularly useful and effective. If there are any extensions that you have found particularly useful or just plain fun and would like to add to this list please post them and I will add them to the thread.

Errors: If you find errors in this thread: a link that doesn’t work, extension that you think shouldn't be included, misspelled word, or inadequately explained extension please let me know and I' ll fix it right away.

Mozilla Extensions

For Firefox = F
For Thunderbird = T

About Config: T

Adblock: F
More info

Add Bookmark Here: F

All in One Gestures: F

Auto Copy: F
More info

Bandwidth Tester: F
More info

BetterSearch: F

BBCode: F
More info

Bookmarks Synchronizer: F

ChatZilla: F
More info Here, Here, and Here

Codetech: F

ColorZilla: F More info

CustomizeGoogle: F
More info Here, and Here

CuteMenus: F

DictionarySearch: F
More info

Download Manager Tweak: F

DownThemAll!: F

EggOn: F

Enigmail: T

Fasterfox: F

Feedview: F

FireFTP: F

FlashGot: F, T
More info

ForecastFox: F
More info

FoxyTunes: F, T
More info

Gmail Notifier: F
More info

Google Preview: F

IE Tab: F
More info Here

IE View: F

Magpie: F

MeasureIt: F

MileWideBack: F

Mood Tap: F

Mouse Gestures: F, T

Mouseless Browsing: F

MR Tech Disable XPI Install Delay: T

MR Tech Local Install: F

Nightly Tester Tools: F
More info Here, and Here

NoScript: F
More info Here,

PDF Download: F
More info here

phpBB User Hide: F

Platypus: F

Print Preview: F

QuickNote: F, T

ReloadEvery: F

Remove Duplicate Messages: T

Resize Search Box: F

Session Saver: F

ShowIP: F
More info Here,

SmoothWheel: F, T

Sort Extensions: F, T

Steam Powered Forums Browser: F

Story Monitor: F

StumbleUpon: F

SwitchProxy Tool: F

Tab Mix Plus: F

Tabbrowser Prefences: F
More info Here, and Here

Thumbs: F

Tinderstatus: F

Tinyurl Creator: F

Track Package: F

Translate Page: F

Virtual Identity: T

Work Offline: F

Thank to everyone that has contributed so far :mrgreen:

If you haven’t found what you’re looking for on this list many more Extensions can be Found here

Last edited:
Wow, never even noticed this till now. Very nice thread you have here. Though I would suggest you write a brief descritpion of all the extensions. After that this should IMO be sticked.

The newest, Mr. Tech local install(lets you have more control over extensions) is a good pick. Since it lets you install some older ext. It lets me use trayit (lets you send Firefox and Thnderbird to the tray)and bugmenot(gets past sign on for some sites). Otherwise I get the 'not compatable with this version'. The nightly tester tools(opens the older extensions for use in newer build, does not always work) almost as good as Mr. Tech, but not as robust.

A what and why would be a great addition to all the wonderful additions to the browser.

Great suggestions everyone. I've added in your extensions and will start writing up descriptions for them in the coming weeks. Thanks for all the great suggestions and keep them coming :).

Last edited:
Don't install too many extensions, otherwise its can make FF unstable (In my experience anyways) or even more of a resource hog.

dicecca112 said:
you might wanna say which work with what versions. I know sessionsaver will not work with FF 1.5

Good point. I will include that too.

crana said:
Don't install too many extensions, otherwise its can make FF unstable (In my experience anyways) or even more of a resource hog.

Also a good point, though often that number has more to do with the extensions' purpose then the number of extensions as a whole I think you'd agree. If you have a small amount of resource heavy extensions they can cause just as much instability as a great many resource light ones. I for one usually cap my extension list around 10 if I can help it.

Does anyone know the name of the extension where you could right click in a log in box so yo didnt have to make a name? It was designed so like if you wanted to read a news story on CNN you didnt have to make a name to read the whole thing.

I cant find it!

Keyconfig! It's not listed on the mozilla site (at least, a search doesn't turn it up), get it here: http://mozilla.dorando.at/readme.html Rebinds keyboard shortcuts, customizable. I've finally got vi hjkl navigation (if you don't know what that is, j is like arrowdown, k is like arrowup, h arrowleft, l arrowright). Why is this useful? You don't need to move your hand to the arrow keys anymore, it's all in the home row. Plus rebind other functions to take full advantage of your keyboard when browsing the net. I used to use the mouse very little when scrolling through a page, now I use it only when I need to click on a link -- which I should undo soon, since the default binding for the apostrophe/single-quote is search links :D

Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman! :)

Let's see what extensions I have loaded at the moment (Firefox 1.5.0.6)...

Fasterfox, Torbutton, UserAgent Switcher, ShowIP, Adblock Plus & Adblock Filterset.G Updater, ShowIP, NoScript, ClearFields, Tab Mix Plus, All-in-One Gestures, DownThemAll!!!, Google Browser Sync.

Back