• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5LD2-VM no boot >222 FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe Camel

Senior Camel Kicker
ok so ive been an AMDroid for as long as i can remember but these P4's BLOW AMDs away when it comes to FOLDing...so i have decided to set up a few new rigs...(on the cheep)

i decided to get: (2x)

Intel Pentium 4 630 3.0Ghz / 2MB Cache / 800 FSB / Socket 775 / HyperThreading / Processor with Fan

ASUS P5LD2-VM Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

with a gig of: (2x sticks)

GeIL 512MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

pict03172kq.jpg

thats a lapped XP-120 with a 95+ CFM fan, 20 to 24 pin converted Fortron 530w PSU

Rig #2:

pict03209fx.jpg

ive flashed to the newest BIOS, loaded newest drivers and i still cant get the thing to boot with a FSB >222 no matter WHAT settings... even @ 223 (mem 1:1) all i get is a sleeping monitor and spinning fans :cry:

since this is my first Intel board im thinking i missed some setting but am @ a loss as to what it is. there isnt a whole lot of info on these mobo's but i thought if anybody would know, it would be here ;)

thanks in advance!

PS here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=413610&page=1&pp=30 is the thread in the FOLDing section

Last edited:
Joe, i am watchin this thread since as you know i need to build somethin around a 551 I have coming ... the more I look at the various P5 mobo threads, the more I start thinkin about a 955x mobo like the P5WD2-x ... but i really started down this path like you looking for more good QMD folding capacity ... so I think all the OC and marketing is gettin to me ... and while i may end up with a fast machine, not sure if it will be good folding bang for the buck i originally started looking for.

Hope you can return that second p5ld2-vm you got if the first doesn't work out as well as hoped. But after all is said and done, it may be a better $ per ppd deal. 220 fsb is not that bad although certainly not great ... my first foray into building was a p4c800e-d with a p4 3.2e that i could never get past 235 stable, even on water and droop modding.

But, looking at my folding stats, I am not sure that a faster FSB wil not really get us a lot more ppd ... 10% improvement for 40% more $ is not a good deal for a farm. My best producers on QMD's are definitely the lga775's.

Joe, have you tried running 5:4 by dropping the DRAM freq by 1 setting and upping the FSB speed. At these setting you should be able to run at 3-4-4 or even 2.5-4-4. I think the memory speed is bumped up on ddr2. I'm still looking for the timings on these new chips.

the only mem settings i have are:
1:1
3:4
3:5
and CAS only goes as low as 3

according to CPU-z, this mem is rated @:
266MHz @ 3-4-4-10
333MHz @ 4-4-4-12

and was sold as PC2-5300 (DDR2-667 CL=4-4-4-12)

i have tried >222 with the 1:1 setting with all combinations of 3-4-4-12 and 4-4-4-10 ... still ... no boot

i really think this is a BIOS bug...IIRC the other mobos with (i think: ) "this chipset" needed new BIOS's to OC well (BUT..thoes dont have on-board vid, so that might play in too)
this mobo only has 1 BIOS listed on ASUS update and it is the same as the one that came stock :(

after reading some reviews on *similar* boards, ive noticed that MY BIOS does NOT have all the options that they list (manual also lists them)
specifically; under the "CPU Configuration" settings:
"Ratio CMOS Setting" and "VID CMOS Setting"

since i am an intel and ASUS virgin, these settings mean nothing to me :shrug: :beer:

new pic update:

pict03228zv.jpg

for some reason my XP-120 "sucked big bawls" and got replaced with a(nother) thermaltake BigTyphoon...
i went from 55-62C load to 35C :eek:...the contact patch (TIM) looked just fine...cant explain it (except only the center pipe on the XP-120 got WAY HOT...im thinking bad pipe to base transfer or design)
i was a thermalTAKE hater B4 i tried the big typhoon....im no hater no more
stock it was WAY QUIET!! so i put a 90+ CFM 120 on there and now it cools the entire mobo ;)

Last edited:
OK the 333 is reporting right. My OCZ DDR500 reports as [email protected],4,4,10.
What is still puzzling is why it won't do 250 on 1:1 %)

I've been an Asus fan since 2000 and Intel fan since 1985 when we actually soldered them together. I popped my AMD cherry in Feb with a winnie 3200 then later got a barton 3000 just for kicks. There's not that much difference, just some slight variance in the memory interface and timings. Sen is probably the most knowledgeble on the DDR2.

This is just a shot in the dark. Typically the VM MB's are servelry limited in their overclocking. It could be a BIOS limatition, it could be the fact that there is onboard video.

Try to disbale the video, and run a PCI card, maybe try setting the RAM as loose as it goes, 4-4-4-12 or along those lines.

It shouldn't be the chipset, as the 945 is pretty similar to the 955, and it deffiantly should not be maxing out at 222.

Check around and see if anyone else is having any luck with the MBs, and decide what you want to do from there.

Seeing as how you have 2 of these, you could take the risk of trying to flash the non-VM bios, to one of the MBs, might give better results, but you will probally lose the onboard video.

ya know, i tried a PCI card...(disabled the on-board vid in BIOS) but when i turn it on, all is fine till windows is finished loading and then it just sits there...does nothing...

so just for S&G i pull the monitor plug out of the PCI card and plug it into the mobo port and there is windows up and running fine....swap the monitor back to the card...loading screen...

i cant find a jumper to "hard" disable the O-B vid...

i wish there were a cheap PCI-x card out there (sub $40)...i wonder if trying to use a PCI card vs the PCI-x slot is confusing it (me) :p

ehhh, its all good! $108 for a mobo & vid card was the point of these rigs...i should just be happy that i can get +20 FSB in the first place...but then again when is an OCer ever happy with just +20 FSB?

thanks for the help/ideas guys, keep'm coming!!

Last edited:
well, Krag seems to have hit the EXACT same 222 FSB wall on his setup....i dont feel too bad now, im in "good company"...

o-ya.. i pulled the 630 out of that mobo and have it running 4.2 - 4.4 in a Abit AS8 / OCZ DDR rig...:clap:

Joe Camel said:
the only mem settings i have are:
1:1
3:4
3:5
and CAS only goes as low as 3

according to CPU-z, this mem is rated @:
266MHz @ 3-4-4-10
333MHz @ 4-4-4-12

and was sold as PC2-5300 (DDR2-667 CL=4-4-4-12)

i have tried >222 with the 1:1 setting with all combinations of 3-4-4-12 and 4-4-4-10 ... still ... no boot

Hey, excuse me for bumping an old post, how did you go till 222 itself without adding the graphics card, I am not able to go beyond 160 FSB itself.

Can you pls post/send your CPU, PCIe freq,voltages, chipset settings for P5LD2-VM BIOS.

Just anything that helps will be appreciated, thanks.

It seems that motherboards have a limit on 533Mhz FSB chips at a much lower FSB than a 800Mhz FSB chip. 220mhz fsb would be roughly equal to a 153Mhz fsb if the overclock was done on a an 805. The P5LD2- VM has a fsb limit of about 20-30Mhz over stock from what I've seen across the board reguardless of the original FSB. Hope that makes sence? :beer:

may not be an important info for you...but hope it will help...
i have no problem at all to reach 220 with P5LD2-VM, P4 930 with stock fan, infenion valued DDR2 667 1GB ram. The system only unable to boot into windows when it goes over 230MHz with same component. the only thing i added onto the board is a video card (x550 256mb).
again...this system is meant for normal usage...not heavy OC...so pretty much all the parts are economical.

Back