• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old ide cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fordman

hello

I was just wondering about old cards that have ide on them (video and sound) if they would work under xp pro so I could hook up more hard drives. The pc that I want to use has 2 isa slots. All this is going to used for is a file sever.
Any Ideas.

Fordman

It should work in theory (Windows will have built-in drivers for them, or at least the IDE bit, although you might have the usual IRQ problems: ISA means no plug 'n' play), but you won't get much performance out of an IDE drive connected via an ISA card: hard drive interface technology has long since moved past the point where the transfer speed greatly exceeds that possible with the ISA architecture. If you really want your HDD running in PIO mode 1, then it's up to you, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's best to avoid, if possible, using any ISA cards at all any more, because of the backwards way in which they handle system resources.

If you really need to add more hard drives than you have IDE connectors, think about a PCI IDE card (if you have any slots free), which should do exactly what you want, with sensible performance (no current hard drive can transfer data faster than the PCI bus can forward it). Otherwise, look into network attached storage.

Hello

It was just an idea since I have a bunch of them and wanted to do something with them.

Thanks Fordman

Back