• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2 Premium not showing IDE drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeyLikesItSI

OK. I have always used nothing but IDE hard drives and finally decided to go with a RAID 0. I got 2 7200.7 baracuda 80 gig drives, set them to raid 0, copied my partition over, had to re-install windows for some reason to get it to boot, but i can't see my IDE drive now. I was planning on using that drive as a weekly backup knowing RAID 0's history of instability, but very well can't back up to it if the system doesn't see it. When i look in the bios, it has boot device priority, and of which it won't show the IDE drive, but if i choose the option below the boot priority, it shows

Hard drive 1: Raid 0
Hard drive 2: IDE

and i can switch them, but then the system boots of the IDE and doesn't find the raid...... how can i get it to see both drives in the BIOS/OS?

yea, its a catch 22. You have to install windows to install the ide driver but you can't because the MB won't the IDE drive to install windows. Its bull****.

Work around is to hook the CD-rom as slave and one HD as master to the primary IDE port (the one on the side of the board.) Install windows and the IDE driver. Then move the HD to the red IDE port. You can't run the CD-rom from the red ports.

Also don't install the chipset drivers without first updating windows. Lastly the ethernet controller drivers don't work, you'll have to buy a separate ethernet card.

glenda17 said:
Work around is to hook the CD-rom as slave and one HD as master to the primary IDE port (the one on the side of the board.) Install windows and the IDE driver. Then move the HD to the red IDE port. You can't run the CD-rom from the red ports.

Well, the included CD has all of the necessary drivers on it to open the EIDE port for windows installation. And, asus was nice enough to make it a bootable CD, so if you plug the CD drive into the blue slot, and have a blank floppy disk to put the drivers on, you'll be home free, make the disk, boot off windows CD, and press F6.

glenda17 said:
Lastly the ethernet controller drivers don't work, you'll have to buy a separate ethernet card.

Again, if you use the drivers that came on the CD, the ethernet controllers work very well, and very fast!

Back to the RAID/IDE issue, i don't remember what setting it was in the bios, but it was user error yet again. Windows now recognizes my RAID 0 and IDE drives, i will say though, i kinda figured the RAID 0 would be a little bit faster then it is.

Does anybody have any recommendations of a good program to back up the RAID onto the IDE a once a week? Thanks guys!

Lastly the ethernet controller drivers don't work, you'll have to buy a separate ethernet card.
no the ethernet controller drivers don't work, period.
Are you sure we are all talking about the same mobo? The Asus P5WD2? Because the ethernet controller deivers work like a champ!. If they didn't I wouldn't be able to post this message and my Network server wouldn't be able to run my network at my job.

are you using the driver that came with the MB or did you download the newer one off asus.com?

Only the newer one would work for me.

glenda17 said:
Only the newer one would work for me.

I thought you said it didn't work at all, and you needed to buy a seperate NIC?

I used the drivers from the CD, i couldn't access the asus website until i used the included drivers to get the ethernet to work.

I found that the "Intel(R) PRO/1000 PM Network Connection" drivers that came on the ASUS support CD wouldn't allow me to disable the controller from "Network Connections" but i could disable it from "Device Manager".
To solve the problem i went to the Intel website and downloaded and the latest drivers and utilities for the "Intel 82573V" controller and now i can disable the controller from "Network Connections" and i also have some cool options in "Device Manager".
Has anyone else had the problem of not being able to disable the Intel controller from "Network Connections" while using the drivers that are supplied on the ASUS support CD.

Last edited:
Nope never had issues with the drivers included.

I seem to see a lot of people having that issue with the drives and the Asus boards though.

I had the same issue and had gotten rid of my floppy drive a long time ago but was 'forced' to get a new one in order to be up and running without any tricky swapping of drives.

Back