• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer BSOD's occasionally.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

I built my dream machine. 3000+, gig of ram, sata Raptors, x800xt vid card. The thing Bsod's on me occasionally. What do you think could cause this?

-My x800xt died, so I had to buy a replacement. Instead of formatting, I just cleaned out the drivers and installed the ones nvidia gave me (bought a 6800). Could the driver clutter cause this?

-Could the drivers from the x800 have been corrupted since the card was bad?

-Bios/chipset drivers be bad? Update them by formatting?

can't really think of anything else. Running on stock speeds for now.

Skiing Squirrel said:
I built my dream machine. 3000+, gig of ram, sata Raptors, x800xt vid card. The thing Bsod's on me occasionally. What do you think could cause this?
My x800xt died, so I had to buy a replacement. Instead of formatting, I just cleaned out the drivers and installed the ones nvidia gave me (bought a 6800). Could the driver clutter cause this?
possibly
-Could the drivers from the x800 have been corrupted since the card was bad?
While they could be corrupted, I don't think a bad card would corupt them (file corruption is usually a result of the hdd/ide controller or bad ram)

-Bios/chipset drivers be bad? Update them by formatting?
again, possibly

can't really think of anything else. Running on stock speeds for now.
If running at stock speeds fixes it, it was probably a bad oc. Can you give us the exact error you get with the blue screen? What PSU do you have? It may not be good enough. Do you get errors under memtest86 at those speeds (if you get errors it eliminates the OS as the source of the problem, and points to the ram)?

Gnufsh said:
possibly

While they could be corrupted, I don't think a bad card would corupt them (file corruption is usually a result of the hdd/ide controller or bad ram)

again, possibly

If running at stock speeds fixes it, it was probably a bad oc. Can you give us the exact error you get with the blue screen? What PSU do you have? It may not be good enough. Do you get errors under memtest86 at those speeds (if you get errors it eliminates the OS as the source of the problem, and points to the ram)?

I never overclocked the computer. I have an Antec Trupower 600watt. I ran Prime95 on full load for about a week with no errors. I only get them occasionally and randomly. I think I will format tonight when I reinstalled my x800...

have you tried memtest86? also check to see if your hd cables are all in place and if your ram is seated properly.

-1cem4n

Try different RAM slots. I had a board with a bad RAM slot once and moving the sticks to alternate slots solved the BSOD problem.

Back