• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Give me an idea..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marley

I need an idea for my final year project on my comp science degree but im all out of ideas.. Help. I was thinking of making maybe a media center plug in but then realised there inst much that hasnt already been done. All ideas welcome, thanks Marls.

How about a very simple active security monitor that alerts you and logs when there are any changes to your startup registry entries, startup group, or services. When there are hooks added to your browser, any new .exe files added to the system and any new processes running. Maybe shares and users added? Or something along that line, sounds fun and useful to me. I know you can dig for all that stuff using various apps like hijack this, or windows logs but I would like a program that is actively monitoring and logs these things for me.

Nor me.. sounds like a great idea but could be a bit hard. I was thinking of some kind of interactive website but i need to make human models and ive never done any modelling before so that again could be a little hard. Does anyone know how long it takes to create a model of a person in 3D studio max or a program like that??

Marley said:
ive never done any modelling before so that again could be a little hard. Does anyone know how long it takes to create a model of a person in 3D studio max or a program like that??
atleast 10 hours, realistically more around 30 or 40. Especially if you're not familiar with the software.

turd said:
How about a very simple active security monitor that alerts you and logs when there are any changes to your startup registry entries, startup group, or services. When there are hooks added to your browser, any new .exe files added to the system and any new processes running. Maybe shares and users added? Or something along that line, sounds fun and useful to me. I know you can dig for all that stuff using various apps like hijack this, or windows logs but I would like a program that is actively monitoring and logs these things for me.

Sounds a lot like spybot resident to me.

How unique does this project have to be? It can't be anything that hasen't been done before?

Quailane said:
How unique does this project have to be? It can't be anything that hasen't been done before?

It doesnt, but im sure the more unique the more impressed an examiner would be.

You know what would be cool? How about a program that checks the registry files and keeps track of the changes? Oh and while we are at it, could you make a bit of the project that runs in the system tray and prompts you when a change is detected?

Possible prompts would be:

1. Yes, I am installing a new program. Create a restore point for me and log everything in a text file.

2. O rly! Something is trying to change my registry w/o my knowledge or consent. Log everything, unhide any changes that it tries to keep from me and roll back to to the last restore point.

Back