• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Massive Loss in performance - everywhere!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ctrl_alt_del_

Wow I don't know what to say... on my pursuit of the almighty overclock, I screwed up a perfectly working computer. :bang head :bang head

For some odd reason while attempting to find the max "FSB" on my Venice 3000, I corrupted windows (?) and had to reinstall XP. I tried to use everything exactly like I had before - same drivers, same bios settings , same win xp CD (I have 2 copies)... Now everything seems very to run a lot slower, INCLUDING my internet connection! Downloads are now in the 20-50kbps when they used to be around 600kb-3mb/sec (I have a 5mb down/1mb up connection). I lost over 1k on 3dMark01, going from over 20k to around 18.5k...

What the heck just happened?!?!?!

I tried the latest board/video card drivers from nVIDIA - tried the old ones I had on CD... wow I don't know what to do. Specs are on my sig. I could use some help, any help - feel free to make fun of my greedy a$$ too... =(

Thanks!

I guess I could - the config right now looks exactly like it was before though! and what could have happened to the internet connection?

chipset drivers?
sounds like youre missing some driver somewhere, or have a "newer" one thats older.

is there a way to completelly erase my HD? I mean literally wipe it clean? I wan to make sure I get the freshest install possible... then I will try to start from scratch...

ctrl_alt_del_ said:
is there a way to completelly erase my HD? I mean literally wipe it clean? I wan to make sure I get the freshest install possible... then I will try to start from scratch...

you mean a full format?

I don't know what kind of hard drive but using but, I find the diagnostic software you get from the manufacturer (like maxblast for maxtor) works best for clearing the hard drive and testing the drive for potential problems. I had a maxtor drive that became really loud. After I ran the diagnostic, it ran smooth and silent. Sometimes there is a tool to zero fill the drive, that takes forever but wipes out everything. I don't know if that will solve all your problems but I hope it will help.

Kill_A._Byte said:
I don't know what kind of hard drive but using but, I find the diagnostic software you get from the manufacturer (like maxblast for maxtor) works best for clearing the hard drive and testing the drive for potential problems. I had a maxtor drive that became really loud. After I ran the diagnostic, it ran smooth and silent. Sometimes there is a tool to zero fill the drive, that takes forever but wipes out everything. I don't know if that will solve all your problems but I hope it will help.

Thanks, I'll try thr WD site... the internet seems to be back to normal... now if I could only get back at 20K on 2001SE...

Kill_A._Byte said:
hey i have this maxtor hd and its kind loud(clicky) and i cannot find maxtor diagnostic test in maxblast 4. can you tell me where it is?

Back