• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone else an internet DJ? (got a problem)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you can't really, i mean any fancy software can be bypassed by plugging an mp3 player into one of the line outs and pressing record, and there is doftware avaliable to record pretty much any kind of stream anyway, but is it really a big thing? i'm never bothered about people recording mixes, afterall podcasting and radio on demand are the 'in thing'.

The problem I have with it, is that they're not even listening to it. It's just something that's been set to rip the songs I'm playing. It disconnects as soon as the song is over, and then reconnects. This is how the software makes seperate files instead of one big long one.

The only way I can see at the moment to stop it is to ban their IP's from connecting to you in the first place. Once they have the data, they can pretty much do whatever they want with it.

I'm just a lil frustrated at the moment. I banned the IP but, this one guy has been trying to reconnect to me for over 14 hours now. It's filling my log file with basically spam. :(

Send him a Windows Message over the internet(I think that's possible)

saying "STOP TRYING TO CONNECT TO MY SERVER!"

Can't you setup your logging software to auto delete anything with xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IP in it?

Also, try the windows message this that Tymes said but do something more threatening with 'cease and desist' and some other legal terms in it to scare 'im away. :D

CrystalMethod said:
I'm just a lil frustrated at the moment. I banned the IP but, this one guy has been trying to reconnect to me for over 14 hours now. It's filling my log file with basically spam. :(

Report him to his ISP. Explain the situation, or, contact the RIAA if you really want him to stop! :p

yeah but, is he actually doing anything illegal? and if so can you prove it. I don't think RIAA would care one bit, they are only interested if it relates to the IP of a large record company, and if the 'theft' ;) is on a large scale.

I would suggest a bluff, write a threatening sounding e-mail mentioning RIAA and other stuff, and if possible/believable try and make it sound like you are a semi commercial or company owned radio station. If this fails just try and filter your logs, or just have the connections filtered by say a separate smoothwall box and don't log the connections on it.

I had the same problems with shoutcast, all that really can be done is to ban the IP and filter the address from the logs (I think that used to be an option with them)
Edit: Since I began to broadcast through SmoothWall, I have set links up on my main rig to access Ip blocking quickly. From there it has been easier.

Last edited:
After looking at my logs this weekend, I have come to the conclusion it might not be just stream ripping going on. I even had to block a couple of addresses because they were relaying Email through my system somehow using the streaming server. and mail ports are blocked here. Even was able to intercept them using an Email address off my PRIVATE domain. Private by reason that it is not used by anyone but me for any reason.

So, If you are getting some strange returned mail messages that could be what is happening to you as well.

I'm actually not getting any activity on my mail ports, and no funny e-mails. I managed to trace the IP/s back to the domain owner (I'm assuming it's the ISP's), and they're in Amsterdam. I'm not too sure what what they'll do (if anything) if I report the culprit. I'm going to give it a whirl.

when they connect they look like winamp or similar for audio. I don't show any activity on the Email ports either, they are all blocked locally but the destinations sometimes vary greatly, and like I said I get all returned mail with my domain name attached somewhere. All of it spam.
another thing, the returned mail stops when I block those IPs or just shut down.

Back