• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Choosing Motherboard...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One with PCI-Express.

If you want more information than that, you might want to give us an idea of what other things you might like to do with your computer. Like overclock, maximum performance, Intel or AMD? Do you do any video editing? Are you only using this for gaiming? Without knowing what you want to do we cannot give you any idea of what would be "best"

This is mostly for gaming with maximum performance.
No need to overclock. and Intel all the way. ;)

You looking at all for SLI? what about dual core? and As PMS so nicly (******* :p) pointed out this is in the abit secion, do you want to limit the search to ABIT or will you take other suggestions?

Batman27 said:
I'm willing to take other suggestions, as well as SLI and Dual Cores, HT and PCI-X.

I don't think I have seen a 945/955 MB with PCI-X. I don't even know if the chipset can support that.

Right now the best MB for PCIe/DDR2/Dual Cores is the ASUS P5WD2

I am going to second that OP as well as agree that if you want ABIT the AW8 is your best choice. I would shy away from abit as they seem to be on their way out, in the last months the quality of their board has declined (really since the Fatality boards started) The ASUS is where i would put my $$.

I say I have to disagree with the ABit on thier way out statement. I have had just about every Abit board out there including the IC7-Max3 and the AW8-Max and I have loved them all

What Intel CPU do you recommend for the P5WD2? I've been out of the loop for a while since the best mobo/cpu combo was ic7-g with 2.4c. Are the dual cores 800series worth getting? What about the prescotts? Last I heard the prescotts ran really hot and I also read that intel engineer admitted they rushed out dual cores.

So far i'm planning on purchasing the following...
ASUS MB P5WD2 Premium Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 955X ATX Intel Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131534

with either the following cpus:
Intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 EM64T Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116197
or
Intel Pentium D 830 Smithfield 800MHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual Core, EM64T Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116212

If I get the 830 I'm assuming I should also get windows 64-bit for better performance.

I don't think Abit is going to fold anytime soon either. I just received a brand new AW8 and hope to have it up and running soon. Also got a new Swiftech LGA775 waterblock. Can't go wrong with Asus either though.

If you are not set on that board I would seriously consider the AW8, but thats just my oppinion, I never liked the asus software or how the bios is set up.

I would get the p4 650 instead of the 640. Might get a little more out of it, the 650 seems to overclock very nicely!

Back