• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on Memory for XP-M 2600+ overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ashyukun

Registered
I recently picked up an XP-M 2600+ CPU that I plan to put into my main computer (a Shuttle SK43G system). It currently has a 2800+ in it, but I'm looking to pu the mobile processor in it to use a bit more power and hopefully generate a bit less heat (well, before the overclock at least....).

My main question though is to what would be best to do in the type of memory to use. The 2800+ runs at 333mhz, and as such needed DDR333 memory to use it at its full bus speed. The 2600+ mobile however runs at 266mhz (natively)- and I've read several places that it's best to have the RAM's native bus speed matched up with the bus speed of the processor, meaning it would be better to have DDR266 (PC2100) memory running with the 2600+ than the current DDR333 (PC2700) sticks.

So, what I'm wondering is: would I likely be best off picking up new DDR266 memory for the computer for trying to overclock it, or sticking with the DDR333 that's in it now? (I'm going to have to be buying more memory of some kind anyway since I'm building another computer, and would either be buying new memory for it or putting the memory from this one into it). Thanks!

the higher the fsb rated the better .. you can always change your multiplier lower and up fsb .. more fsb the better !!

Ashyukun said:
I recently picked up an XP-M 2600+ CPU that I plan to put into my main computer (a Shuttle SK43G system). It currently has a 2800+ in it, but I'm looking to pu the mobile processor in it to use a bit more power and hopefully generate a bit less heat (well, before the overclock at least....).

My main question though is to what would be best to do in the type of memory to use. The 2800+ runs at 333mhz, and as such needed DDR333 memory to use it at its full bus speed. The 2600+ mobile however runs at 266mhz (natively)- and I've read several places that it's best to have the RAM's native bus speed matched up with the bus speed of the processor, meaning it would be better to have DDR266 (PC2100) memory running with the 2600+ than the current DDR333 (PC2700) sticks.

So, what I'm wondering is: would I likely be best off picking up new DDR266 memory for the computer for trying to overclock it, or sticking with the DDR333 that's in it now? (I'm going to have to be buying more memory of some kind anyway since I'm building another computer, and would either be buying new memory for it or putting the memory from this one into it). Thanks!
my suggestion would be to get some DDR400 (PC3200) memory and maybe drop the multi if you don't want to overclock too much......the extra bandwidth will really help your system compared to running at 333MHz. I don't know how well your mb overclocks so you might want to start out with some value ram......

Thanks! I haven't ever tried overclocking this computer before- I also realized I goofed, and I actually have the SN45GV2 as opposed to the SK43G- so I'll have to do some experimenting. If I can get the CPU running at 333mhz at its native multiplier, I'd be quite happy as that would be a nearly 25% improvement over even the current 2800+. If it looks like it's the memory holding it back, perhaps I'll try it with some nicer DDR400.

Back