• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Active memory cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seanohue

Well I think I am about convinced to order some 2x1GB Ballistix PC4000 over the new OCZs but I just have one question: If the Micron chips in the Ballistix need to have a little more juice to get em to the tighter timings, how much active cooling is needed? What I have in my setup right now is a 80mm fan with a sticky square thing attached to the top of my memory, blowing downwards. And what is the max voltage for these chips anyway?

A single 80mm fan blowing over/across the modules should be sufficient.

Based on what I've seen posted, plus my personal experiences, there is no real value to exceeding 3.1v-3.2v with Ballistix. As always, there are exceptions to the rule.

Just on a curious note.. where are the water blocks for memory coolings ? i cant find any :)

Twiggz said:
Just on a curious note.. where are the water blocks for memory coolings ? i cant find any :)

Air cooling memory is more than enough, right now there is really no need to WC memory. You'd just be adding more restriction to your loop which may or may not affect the overall performance of your system.

This is how I'm doing it. AMD approved heatsink fan leaning on my 20 pin connector.

system.jpg

Back