• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rig is having a fit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agrosjean

I've got a rig that I built a few years ago and now it doesn't work. As Foamy the squirrel so eloquently put it, "This <expletive deleted> is acting up worse than a troubled child on crack..." It's been rebooting itself periodically throughout the day for no apparent reason. The Microsoft "help" page, based on the crash report, indicates it might be a faulty piece of hardware such as the power supply, cpu, memory, or a fourth component I can't remember. I've replaced the power supply and bought a new harddrive, but haven't had any luck. Now I can't even get Windows XP Pro to install and if I go back and use the old harddrive with Windows to boot from it just keeps rebooting itself again and again after showing me the splash screen for about 1/2 second. It's so bad that I can't even get Windows to come up fully in Safe Mode. It tries to load in safe mode, but eventually reboots itself after reaching a certain point in the process.

When I tried installing Windows XP Pro Service Pack 1a onto the new harddrive, I got numerous copy errors. It finally reached a point in the install where I got a BSOD with an STOP:0x0000050 error. I tried the install again and got a different "Hard error" message complaining about a corrupt ntdll.dll file.

Here's a brief rundown of the rig specs:

- Intel P4 2.6c MHz 800 FSB (Hyper Threading is turned off)
- Kingston HyperX Series Dual Kits 184 pin 512MBx2 DDR PC3500
- ASUS P4P800 mobo
- Windows XP Pro SP2

Before it went into this constant reboot scenario at the Windows splash screen, the temps appeared to be normal and the voltages/power weren't fluctuating enough to make me think they were the cause of the problem. At the advice of a fellow co-worker, I'm considering just building a new rig. However, if I can save this one (and some cash), I'd rather do that.

HELP! If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. Otherwise, I'll be researching the current technologies/products out there for my new rig.

Note: I forgot to also mention that I've tried reseating the memory and various cards in the box.

Back