• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help w/my ballistix pc4000 2x1gb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voodoothenoob

I cant get them to run worth a crap, but they do work

mempass.jpg

even at default timings, they are slow as crap...just opening a folder on my desktop takes 10 seconds or so....so something must be wrong in my bios...

membios.jpg

I try to overclock them just a bit....260 and bam...I got 2.85 volts vdimm going at em, and even at 3 volts, no difference

mem.jpg

my cpu is stable to 2.75 with my old 2x512 ram

any help out there?

Last edited:
2.85volts

memfail.jpg

volt.jpg

I am not impressed so far with these sticks

I wonder if all the great reviews are for just running a quick bench vs any type of stability for daily use

I am actually gonna try and give them less volts first, as I already tried giving them 3 volts with no luck or stability

see what they do at 2.7 :shrug:

Shouldn't memory timing be at 2T? Think I saw somewhere it was needed for 2 X 1GB with some modules/board combinations. I wouldn't swear to it though.

well...I installed a panaflo 80mm fan on them and all that resulted in was a noisy machine.

These things must not like my mobo or cpu or whatever, but they dont go past stock ratings for me while keeping my puter stable

back to the drawing board and my pc3700 2x512 sticks that at least keep my puter running nice and smooth at 2.75

I am now jealous of all the ballistix owners getting good clocks

well I finally managed to get them to 270 but I had to use the 2T command rate

270 is the max these will go at 3-3-3-8 2.9volts 2T in my puter Bios 1006

tried 1007 and 1009 but they were worse

my superpi runs and bandwith testing were over 30 minutes 32m and under 6000 with my proc running 2.7

ughhhhh, I miss my low latency ram, it got better bandwith and scores even running on divider

why do I need 2 gigs ram again??? :shrug: :santa:

now that I am done crying like a girl...

this is where I am at for daily use

2gb.jpg

memtets.jpg

I guess I am happy, I saved myself some dough on a bet...if i didnt hit 2.6 stable I would buy the fx 57...so that worked out well

just wish I could get that extra % by getting it 1T stable...But I did try, maybe a different bios or mobo in the future will get it ...or after they break in

The bright side is that my puter wouldnt even post at 265 or above at 1T

so that made it easy :santa:

Last edited:
I have a very similar set up as yours voodoothenoob. I was able to boot @ 265 1T using 3-3-3-10 @ 2.8vdmm but any restart of the OS would hang a windows is saving settings. Change back to my GSkill LE X2 512mb solved that problem.

Honestly, I don't see how those scores at CAS 3 would be any better than 4 x 512 Mb?
I'm willing to bet that 4 x 512Mb TCCD will best those scores. As for your specific problem, you should be able to run 1T as only 2 DIMM slots are populated.

Why are you guys being taken in by this 2Gb and DDR2 hype? I see no point in this.

Super Nade said:
Honestly, I don't see how those scores at CAS 3 would be any better than 4 x 512 Mb?
I'm willing to bet that 4 x 512Mb TCCD will best those scores. As for your specific problem, you should be able to run 1T as only 2 DIMM slots are populated.

Why are you guys being taken in by this 2Gb and DDR2 hype? I see no point in this.

What hype? 2gb kit of Crucial Ballistix goes for $300. And 4x512mb of TCCD will cost you more. And with 4 sticks, odds you won't be able to overclock them as high. Any tighter timings will be offset by having to go 2T. 2gb has made my system run so much smoother. I think running 250 @ 2.5-3-3-7 1T or 300 @ 3-3-3-8 1T is pretty good.

edit: Forgot to mention that they can also do 200 @ 2-2-2-5 1T

Last edited:
Capt_Caveman said:
What hype? 2gb kit of Crucial Ballistix goes for $300. And 4x512mb of TCCD will cost you more. And with 4 sticks, odds you won't be able to overclock them as high. Any tighter timings will be offset by having to go 2T. 2gb has made my system run so much smoother. I think running 250 @ 2.5-3-3-7 1T or 300 @ 3-3-3-8 1T is pretty good.

>$300 for this TCCD? How can you go wrong if DDR600 is the base spec? :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220140

There is hardly any real world difference between 2T and 1T. Also, if your system requires 2Gb of RAM to run smooth, you might want to look for potential problems. If you think its going to matter a whole lot in games, why don't you test it out yourself? Use 512 x 2/4 Mb of TCCD, your preferred 2Gb kit and a super cheapo 2Gb kit. See for yourself what performance gains you observe.

I play Doom 3 and HL2 pretty much everyday, at maxed out settings. Apart from the initial loadup time, I so NO difference in gameplay. The Omega OSD reports the same avg framerate regardless of me using 512 x 2 or 512 x 4 Mb or RAM.

So now you tell me, in the light of my observations, what hype are we talking about? This is just another excuse for the memory Co's to make some money.
Ofcourse a super hog like Vista will only aid this process.

Well, you haven't played BF2 have you. BF2 uses more than 1gb and not having to use your paging file makes the game run so much more smoothly. Nor do you use photoshop or other applications that make use of more than 1gb of memory to run more smoothly.

Nor do you have a dual-core processor, so when I play BF2, I also have a MYSQL database running in the background and watch tv w/ my pvr on my other monitor. Trust me, 2gb of memory has made a world of different. I even flirted around with 4gb. I think it comes down to what you actually use your pc for, to determine the amount of memory needed.

Not sure the mentioning of 4x512mb when most people that are building systems can just go straight to 2x1gb for less money and issues.

I agree with the points you have made. Image processing and vedio editing require a lot of memory and often necissitate the use of a server quality setup. However, is it wise for the average enthusiast to jump for 2Gb just for the sake of one game?

Edit*
Many apologies to the thread-starter for the hijack :)

hmmm i love this sticks .. currently running then at 260 3-3-3-8-1t @ 2.7v no problem .. had them as high as 292 3-3-3-8 @ 2.9

I bought the 1gb stick off newegg for $158 due to a short budget right now. I will be able to just buy another one of the same stick in the future to get dual channel right?

Super Nade said:
I agree with the points you have made. Image processing and vedio editing require a lot of memory and often necissitate the use of a server quality setup. However, is it wise for the average enthusiast to jump for 2Gb just for the sake of one game?

Edit*
Many apologies to the thread-starter for the hijack :)

1 game???

BF2/F.E.A.R ...there's 2 :)

seriously though i can imagine most upcoming titles benefitting from 2gb and if you're using an X2 what's the point of having 1gb....how can you expect to play a game and run seperate processes ie encode a disc etc etc with 1gb??? it's not happening

its getting to the point soon if not now where 2gb is just the standard just like 1gb was a few years back.

got my 2gig ballistix set and are loving them 270 @ 2.6v .....thread started have you ever tried dropping voltage down to 2.6/2.7??? these ballistix in general don't like voltage even though theyre rated 2.8v.

Back