• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help 640 will not work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkh

Ok I have an AG8 and I traded a 3.4 chip to a guy I no for a 640 from his dell, but when I put it in it would not work I have the secound latest bios I dont want the newest one because of the temps issue. both chips work fine in the dell wtf.

Does the BIOS version that you have on the MB support 6XX CPUs?

If not, update to the latest.

If I were you I would update to the latest bios. Ive had a few 6xx chips that havent worked because the bios doesnt support them.

Actually the last bios update for the AG8 that updated the CPU micro code was Bios 18 released in jan of 05

It looks as though all bios 24 (the newest) does is recalibrate the temp

Maybe the 640 just isnt supported (yet)?

I thought of that to but it it does not really make sense to do that, I looked at the number and they all seemed fine it was a china chip. I put my 540 back in and it works fine.

Dell doesnt use proprietary chips

May be just one of those things.... what you say makes one stick of perfectly good memory work in one board and not another *shrugs* I dont know but I had the problem last week, stick of OCZ would not work (worked in another computer) but a stick of kingston would.....

could be the same deal with your CPU for some reason....i cant think of anything else...update the bios, try again.

Back