• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$1000.00 Budget what would YOU do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigDan3131

Well I have grand to spend on a new comp. I have certain things in mind and some constraints as well.

First no AMD
Second this wont be O/C'd till later down the road

I was thinking about an Intel 6xx series cpu but what would be the best mobo for this? I have a case in mind as well as PC&C psu. Which memory would you use that would work great in a non o/c and o/c'd comp? This will be used 95% of the time for gaming and with the budget would you use a 7800GT or X850XT or something cheaper? This wont be used for WoW or any of those type of games. It will be used in FPS games. For sound I will use either M-Audio or Creative Labs Audigy ZS series.

I pretty much know which of everything I was going to use but different opinions dont hurt either.

first explain the reason for no AMD if this will be mostly FPS? and why the ZS series when there is the new x-fi. and what are you thinking of?

-1cem4n

you're wasting a lot of your budget with that psu, and your intel choice

Im sorry but I want nothing to do with AMD I dont like them and dont care for them.They may be great to you but I will be an Intel man till they are no longer in business. I might go with Enermax instead it is a hair cheaper and I love the ones I've used in the past. Im building this with a cash budget no credit cards.

BigDan3131 said:
Im sorry but I want nothing to do with AMD I dont like them and dont care for them.They may be great to you but I will be an Intel man till they are no longer in business. I might go with Enermax instead it is a hair cheaper and I love the ones I've used in the past. Im building this with a cash budget no credit cards.

Heh. I understand your aversion. I have a similar one about Apple, too. But would you mind giving us a little insight as to why you loath AMD?

PC P&C, Intel, 7800 Series cards...I think you need a new game plan dude. $1000 is going to be tough with toys like that...

Are there any parts that you are going to carry over from another system? If you do, it will definetly help us picking better parts for your money.

Well I'll leave the CPU MOBO and RAM out.
I'd get a 7800GT, that's 350, this is the cornerstone of your rig and you don't cut corners on corner stones or you get a stone.
PSU/case...no idea what a PC&C is so i'll guess 150 for it?
For sound card, chaintech AV-710, 30 bucks tops (don't judge a card by it's cost)
HDD...80 bucks for a 160gb
that leaves ya over 350 for CPU/MOBO RAM...
3.0 LG thingy is 175....3000+ is 140
MB...no frills intel/AMD is 75
RAM...gig of value ram is 80 bucks

Your fear of brands/brand loyalty is gonna end up costing you money. Things change very quickly in the computer world..so be warned.

Your fear of brands/brand loyalty is gonna end up costing you money. Things change very quickly in the computer world..so be warned.
Heh. I understand your aversion. I have a similar one about Apple, too. But would you mind giving us a little insight as to why you loath AMD?

I'm also curious as to why you don't want to go AMD. But, I also doubt that your budget can afford a 7800 GT, Audigy ZS, and a PCP&C.

I've made some changes...first I will use my CC because its just easier for some of the stuff I need.
1. Intel 630 Retail box $170.00 free shipping www.softghost.com
2. X800 PRO PCIe $179.00 Refurb right from ATI
3. Asus P5WD2 $175.00 from SG above

I have just totaled my list and it comes to $1027.00

My case is the Tt Tsunami Dream,the HDD is Maxtor Maxline III 300Gb ATA 133,Heatsink is CM Hyper48, 1 Gb of Corsair XMS PC2 5400,Lite-On DVD Rom, generic Floppy along with my sleaving and ties.

I really hate seeing you drop 175 for the mobo when you can get a good one for 75 and then get a real video card....This is a gaming rig is it not?
Also why get such hi end RAM? again get a better video card, you will not notice the difference that those premium rams give you in games...and no question when comparing it to value ram and a better vid card.

i see this going nowhere... unfortunately he already bought those i think and the heatsink isn't that great and he bought an ATA 133 drive. He also bought an x800pro PCI-E but if it were AGP, you could get it to x800xt pe but there's no hope for the pci-e version.

-1cem4n

The point of this is to build towards future upgrades. AHHH that heatsink kicks *** it dropped my temps by 10 degrees. Why work your way backwards when we need to move foward. i'll see what they have at the show this weekend and maybe change my mind.No I havent bought anything and its a matter of trying to future proof my setup. I have been there done that " cheap"road before,you buy junk it doesnt last for beans and you end up spending more money down the road to replace it.

That heatsink only works great if you give it enough airflow,I ditched the stock fan and added a custom one off fan thru the side panel that flows 158cfm right over it and my RAM.

Do for 1000 bucks you cant get a 7800GTX, thats like half your budge right there and if you don't plan on overclocking you will be forced to get a crappy cpu which will bottleneck your system.

And if you could please explain your aversion to AMD I would appreciate it.

BigDan3131 said:

Are you saying cash as in physical cash or are you opposed to using othermethods of payment such as debit or paypal. If you plan on you physical cash you will end up spending quite it bit more as you will have to go to some local computer store, which normally charge more in the first place, and then most likely you will have to special order the parts as computer stores generally have a VERY limited selection of CPUs and motherboards

kwago said:
future proofing and going intel...

ahahahahahahahahahahaa...sorry...hahahahahahahahahaha

Back