• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what does errors in memtest86+ test #7 signify?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s14

Registered
Hi all,

Just got my ram back after it was rma'd, turns out one stick was bad. So now I have 2 new sticks (2x1gb) and i ran memtest for peace of mind. (before i was getting 20-30,000+ errors)

The ram is OCZ PC 3200 Performance 3-3-3-8
OCZ part number is OCZ4002048PFDC-K
link: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr_pc_3200_2gb_dual_channel

Left it going for exactly 9 hours whilst i had a good sleep and after pass number 10 to 12 when i exited it had 253 errors in test number 7 only.

Does anyone know what test number 7 means? should i worry? Just bought my computer about 4-5 weeks ago and i haven't overclocked it at all.

Oh and i'm currently running at some settings that ocz recommended so the timings are different than stock. see below.

Memory Voltage: 2.7 <--- what is the limit for my ram? people always say up the dram voltage but not sure of how far is too far.

CPC = DISABLED
CAS Latency(CL) = 2
RAS to CAS(Trcd) = 3
Min RAS# Active time(Tras) = 8

Row Precharge Time(Trp) = 2
Row Cycle Time(Trc) = 7
Row Refresh Cycle Time(Trfc) = 16
Row to Row Delay(Trrd) = 3
Write Recovery Time(Twr) = 3
Write to Read Delay(Twtr) = 1
Read to Write Delay(Trwt) = 2
Refresh Period (Tref) = 0648
Write CAS Latency(Twcl) = Auto
DRAM Bank Interleave = Enabled
Skew = AUTO
Skew Value = 0
DRAM Drive Strength = Level 3
DRAM Data Drive Strength = Level 1
Max Async Latency = 7ns
Read Preamble Time = 5ns
Idle Cycle Limit = 256
Dynamic Counter = Enabled
R/W Queue Bypass = 16x
Bypass Max = 7x
32 byte Granularity = Disable(8burst) <--- i could only find disable 4 burts in my bios?

here are my system specs

x2 4400+
DFI Lanparty ut nf4 ultra-d
ocz powerstream 520w
sapphire x800xl
OCZ PC 3200 Performance 2x1gb

i am using the 702-3 bios from the dfi street site. Is it safe to flash back to the 6-23 bios?

thanks!

Change cas to 2.5 or 3, your timings are too tight it looks like. It is rated @ 3-3-3.

Errors in any test mean the RAM is not stable.

thanks guys, i changed back to stock timings 3-3-3-8 and ran memtest again last night. Ran for 8h 45min (11 passes) and had 3 errors in test 7 on the first pass.

Cheers Karl, maybe i'll try increasing the vdimm as suggested.

Is it safe to flash to a new bios version if i have 3 errors?

s14 said:
thanks guys, i changed back to stock timings 3-3-3-8 and ran memtest again last night. Ran for 8h 45min (11 passes) and had 3 errors in test 7 on the first pass.

Cheers Karl, maybe i'll try increasing the vdimm as suggested.

Is it safe to flash to a new bios version if i have 3 errors?
No!!!! Never flash when you have errors. If you are going to flash reset your system to stock. For a stable over clock you need ZERO errors,

rseven, my system is at stock? i haven't overclocked it at all since i got it. So i should try and fix those 3 errors first before flashing?

Don't flash an unstable system.. Try 2.8v. If that doesn't work I would RMA the RAM. There should never be errors running RAM at stock speeds and stock timings.

s14 said:
Hi all,

Just got my ram back after it was rma'd, turns out one stick was bad. So now I have 2 new sticks (2x1gb) and i ran memtest for peace of mind. (before i was getting 20-30,000+ errors)

The ram is OCZ PC 3200 Performance 3-3-3-8
OCZ part number is OCZ4002048PFDC-K
link: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr_pc_3200_2gb_dual_channel

Left it going for exactly 9 hours whilst i had a good sleep and after pass number 10 to 12 when i exited it had 253 errors in test number 7 only.

Does anyone know what test number 7 means? should i worry? Just bought my computer about 4-5 weeks ago and i haven't overclocked it at all.

Oh and i'm currently running at some settings that ocz recommended so the timings are different than stock. see below.

Memory Voltage: 2.7 <--- what is the limit for my ram? people always say up the dram voltage but not sure of how far is too far.

CPC = DISABLED
CAS Latency(CL) = 2
RAS to CAS(Trcd) = 3
Min RAS# Active time(Tras) = 8

Row Precharge Time(Trp) = 2
Row Cycle Time(Trc) = 7
Row Refresh Cycle Time(Trfc) = 16
Row to Row Delay(Trrd) = 3
Write Recovery Time(Twr) = 3
Write to Read Delay(Twtr) = 1
Read to Write Delay(Trwt) = 2
Refresh Period (Tref) = 0648
Write CAS Latency(Twcl) = Auto
DRAM Bank Interleave = Enabled
Skew = AUTO
Skew Value = 0
DRAM Drive Strength = Level 3
DRAM Data Drive Strength = Level 1
Max Async Latency = 7ns
Read Preamble Time = 5ns
Idle Cycle Limit = 256
Dynamic Counter = Enabled
R/W Queue Bypass = 16x
Bypass Max = 7x
32 byte Granularity = Disable(8burst) <--- i could only find disable 4 burts in my bios?

here are my system specs

x2 4400+
DFI Lanparty ut nf4 ultra-d
ocz powerstream 520w
sapphire x800xl
OCZ PC 3200 Performance 2x1gb

i am using the 702-3 bios from the dfi street site. Is it safe to flash back to the 6-23 bios?

thanks!

It appears that you should have gotten different RAM, because the rated timings are loose. Also, the RAM you currently have appears to be better suited for Pentium 4 systems. (I looked at the web site)

Well i got it down to 1 error only now by playing with a few things. Can't shake the final error though :)

RJARRRPCGP: Could you please recommend some other ram? preferably 2gb as i do a lot of photoshop work.

if you must flash to a new bios, i would only install one ram stick in the top orange slot of the motherboard, clear the cmos, put in the timings yourself (the stock ones, of course) and run memtest. if you dont get any errors, then flash away. just so you dont get your hopes up, flashing to a new bios will not likely solve your problem. its always worth a shot though :)

EvilCloudStrife said:
if you must flash to a new bios, i would only install one ram stick in the top orange slot of the motherboard, clear the cmos, put in the timings yourself (the stock ones, of course) and run memtest. if you dont get any errors, then flash away. just so you dont get your hopes up, flashing to a new bios will not likely solve your problem. its always worth a shot though :)

Thanks for that, I guess that 1 error is on one of the sticks so i will only try one, run it over night for 8 hours and then if i have no errors in the morning i will flash to a later bios from dfi street.

Can i ask why it is so important not to flash to a newer bios when there are errors? Does it permanently enter the errors into the sticks or something? What if there was an error in the ram that popped up just after 8 hours, or maybe through 65 hours of testing. But because i only test for 8 hours while i sleep, i would never find it?

Sorry if it seems like a stupid question :)

Also, why the top orange slot? i tried both sticks in the orange slots yesterday (they are currently in the yellow) and my computer wouldn't load up. Just sat there sounding an alarm with long beeps. Why is that? i put them back to yellow and it loaded up fine.

After i clear the cmos doesn't it revert back to the default anyways?

thanks again

Back