• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Score!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maelstromracing

Just got for free from a buddy of mine 2 used comps. 1 is a K6/2-400 (running at 450 w00t) and a ACER thingy Pentium 75. double w00t. K62 will be the file server. Not quite sure what to do with the Pentium 75.....any suggestions? (no over clocking in bios, checking mother board now)

What is a smoothwall?? I have a router setup already. Hmm Folding. Good Idea. Now I need an OS that will fit on a 250MB (Mega not Giga) hard drive.

smoothwall or m0n0wall will put any router you can buy off the shelf to shame. It's basically a linux operating system to act as a router and hardware firewall. You just need 2 network cards installed, and then load the OS on the machine. You can then uplink the LAN card to a switch, and the wan to your dsl/cable modem. I personally prefer m0n0wall, it's much more powerful than the free version of smoothwall. Smoothwall was just about as good until they made a pay version. m0n0wall needs 64MB of ram though. Probably not a good idea to run smoothwall with less than that either. Not sure if you can get that machine up to 64mb or not.

check out m0n0wall or smoothwall on the web :cool:

J.

J.

I got it up to 32MB of Ram. Don't have any other simms/edo larger than 8mb. I am working on getting Win98SE loaded. I think I still have some uber old games that I can get it to play....

Free computers are great :). A customer of mine was dipsosing one of the old Biostar w/ integrated "Pro 1600+" Duron cpu. I fixed it up with 256MB of ram, a few more usb ports thanks to an extra 5 port 2.0 USB card I had around, a wireless G card, a cheap (had lying around) SiS 315E video card (a bit better than onboard) and a few other things. It is replacing her Compaq K6-2 500Mhz machine that I was given in payment for services on that computer (girl didn't pay me, dad gave me the computer). I now have about 9 computers that I've been given/fixed boards on/found/etc. All of them run like a top too (after I get through with them). Nice job on the score.

- Jim

and in true OC fashion the P75 is now running @100mhz.... w00t! Scored a lot of printers too. One Laser Jet II.

Back