• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitech G15 and G5 gaming keyboard and laser mouse. An awsome combo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prodigious

Yesterday I got the new g5 laser mouse. today I picked up the g15 keyboard. These are the two best peripherals I've ever used. Very high quality construction, and excellent tactile qualities. The backlighting on the keyboard is great, and the LCd is actually usefull!

The whole ammo/health custom display settings is a gimmick imo. but by default it displays date and time as well as cpu and ram usage. this is actually a neat feature while playing games, because if you're like me, you are always checking the clock, and I have to turn around to see mine. now I just glance down while game to see the time. also, it's a lot easier to monitor the load on your system while playing games since you get realtime ram and cpu usage stats as you play. This keyboard has 18 extra "g" keys, with 3 modes for each key. I have no idea what to do with them all, but I'll figure something out.

The mouse is by far the most responsive and accurate out there, save for perhaps the copperhead, which uses the same sensor AFAIK, so it should be equal. The lack of a second side button irks me because i usually use the forward and back buttons for voice chat and reloading/secondary fire switch. It's not a huge deal though.

The combo was expensive, 70 for the keyboard and 60 something for the mouse. Definitely worth it though. Now what am I going to do with my mx518? :eh?:

good to know about the lcd. I always figured the ammo thing was a gimmick, mainly because I dont want to have to look down at my keyboard to see how much ammo I have

Can it display temps?

Prodigious said:
this is actually a neat feature while playing games, because if you're like me, you are always checking the clock, and I have to turn around to see mine. now I just glance down while game to see the time.

couldn't you have just moved your clock? or put a watch on your desk?

but then i guess he wouldn't have had an excuse to get a new keyboard ;)

Yes, the lcd has a backlight. The keyboard has a button to turn the lighting(both the lcd lighting, and key backlights) off, medium or high brightness. The difference between medium and bright is pretty subtle, so I just keep it on bright(cause it looks nice). To give you an idea of the lcd screen, imagine a decent Texas Instruments graphing calculator(like a TI-84 or something) except widescreen with a whitish backlight. Its not ultra high res, and there is ghosting(probably 250ms response time lol), but it is effective. There's enough resolution to comfortably display and analog style clock on the one side, and have several lines of text.

As far as what else it can display, for now it's game dependent, aside from the clock and cpu/ram stats. It automatically discovered a "profile" for BF2, so I'm assuming you will be able to download custom profiles for different games you have installed. It shouldn't be hard at all for someone to write custom scripts for displaying anything from EQ settings in music players to simplistic visualizations. I'm waiting for the first Super Mario Bro. game to be made for the keyboard screen. :lol:

btw, as far as the clock thing goes, I have my room set up a certain way, and I don't feel the need to go out and buy a second clock just to put on my desk. I never said the ld screen is an essential feature, I just said it might be useful for some.

Oh and I got the keyboard and mouse at Best Buy. They must have gotten them in stock this week cause I didn't see them last Friday.

went to best buy and picked my G15 today too.. anyone know how to set-up the LCd to show kills Deaths Score for BF2 and halo??

how are the G keys programmed? can they function as a whole separate button?

Man, I wanna get them now too. But seeing as how I dont have any money.. and you dont know what to do with your mx518. You can always give it to me :p

yes G-Keys can be set to do macros and other things, I found the SDK kit to build and complie a library for the LCD screen, unfortuantly i have no expierence in C++ so i can't compile anything for BF2. anyone who has bf2 and C++ expierence i can send ya the files and you can see if it works as the SDK includes a virtual LCD for testing.

The only thing I dislike about this keyboard is there is no back or forward button. Seeing as the G5 mouse doesn't have a forward button anymore, this kills me when I'm surfing the web and try to switch back and forth between pages for whatever reason. AFAIK, you can't set any of the g keys to brwoser functions like foward, back, reload etc. like you can with mice. :(

btw, the lcd automatically supports info display for tons of media apps. I didn't notice this until I started playing a song in itunes and saw the track and progress bar on the lcd. This makes things a hell of a lot easier, especially when playing music while gaming. No more switching out of game windows just to find the song I want.

you should be able to make a macro for it or soemthn', it does support itunes, but i do not want itunes i want bf2.

it is a good idea, but I still don't think it will be that useful (at least not during FPS games). Who really has time to look down at the keyboard for a second or two to read the stats during gameplay? I know that I sure don't and want to have my eyes on the screen at all times, besides the fact that you can get 99% of that information from your HUD anyways. I do like the G-keys though, sadly it would take some time for me to get used to them, since I currently use the arrow keys and would have to switch to WASD altogether.

Back